A very long equation under square root

Hi,
I’m trying to enter a formula like this in TeXmacs:

I cannot use ‘Math->several equations’ to do the line break and alignment since it is under the same square root.
I don’t know how to add a new line in it, here is what I get if I continue typing:

Really appreciated if you can let me know some options to achieve this.
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi,
you can put a table (example, a plain tabular) inside a math expression, and the table can go under a square root sign. I obtainmultiline_equation

where I have also tweaked a bit the spacing between table rows. The upper part of the square root sign isn’t straight, it is a TeXmacs bug I think.

3 Likes

Yes, it seems so. I also noticed in some situations that the bar over the square root does not align always perfectly. We may want to file a bug.

2 Likes

Thanks pireddag for your help. I can input the equation now (with the same minor bug):

I also tweaked the spacing by cell alignment to right.
But what I learned further is to cascade the macros, table inside math here but I’m sure I’ll use more combinations.
Thanks again for your help!

2 Likes

I have seen that you submitted it (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?62423), thx!

1 Like

You can Calculate square root of number using different methods

Hi @Bambi and welcome to the forum. I think that the original poster of this thread is concerned with writing (not calculating) an expression under the sign of square root. But still yours is an interesting link.

Is there any sort of “multiline” boxes, and let TeXmacs to break long formula in the box like this (creating a box to containe the things under the square-root)?

Sorry I do not know. I need to browse the options of the table constructs, and can’t do that now.
Formulae have “natural” positions for line breaks and I would like a “multiline box for formulae” to split formulae nicely.
Perhaps someone else knows.