Big math symbols

I wonder how to produce a customized big math symbol? For example, it seems to me that there is no “big” version of boxtimes in TeXmacs, like

<math|<big|boxtimes>>

thus I wonder how to cook up one?

Pls. try and take a look at this mailing list thread

https://lists.texmacs.org/wws/arc/texmacs-users/2022-04/msg00020.html

I guess that it would be better to rescale boxtimes to be of the same size as bigotimes, but I do not now how to implement it.

You might want to look at the file $TEXMACS_PATH/fonts/virtual/emu-operators.vfn where missing glyphs are composed by justaposition of other glyphs. It is a small description language, I guess would be fun to add whatever needed to get what you want. I still haven’t figured out how the big variants are obtained, however.

I guess that there are ways to do it without low-level font hacking, similar to this answer for LaTeX.

This is one way

<shift|<dilate|2|2|\<boxtimes\>>||-0.4em>

but is not very nice. Big symbols are obtained via <big|boxtimes> but this shows that the glyph is missing since TeXmacs does not know how to create it.

This one is unsatisfactory, especially in the context. For example, if we replace boxotimes by this in

<syntax|\<boxtimes\>|<big|sum>><rsub|i=0><rsup|\<infty\>>A<rsub|i>

the result is awful. This issue also happens if we use really-huge to resize:

<syntax|<really-huge|\<boxtimes\>>|<big|sum>><rsub|i=0><rsup|\<infty\>>A<rsub|i>