Cannot open TeXmacs

I am on Mac, M-series chip. TeXmacs won’t open. I already tried removing it and resintalling. You can see the full error here:

2 Likes

Try: https://github.com/texmacs/texmacs/releases/tag/v2.1.2

1 Like

Why the official download (http://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/download/macosx.en.html) links to v2.1.1 instead of v2.1.2.

I think it is because the official version is 2.1.1 :slight_smile:

If @darcy is suggesting you to try 2.1.2, though, it means it may not show the crash.

BTW did you also try to remove your .TeXmacs folder? Some crashes can come from corruption there—I think I recall correctly. TeXmacs will regenerate it with defaults.

1 Like

I see. It’s just that in many projects on Github a tagged “release” usually indicates an “official version release”, but of maybe TeXmacs devs prefer a different convention.

The crash is now gone. I reinstalled TeXmacs once more and somehow it opened. I don’t have any more info unfortunately.

I’m hitting this issue again. I think it happens when I try to open a file from iCloud, which needs to sync first.

Whenever this happens, Texmacs crashes on opening. Then it keeps crashing, unless I reinstall. It’s very annoying.

I’m also trying with the v2.1.2 version linked above. Same thing happens :frowning:

I am likely not able to help, despite this I think it is worth checking what happens if you just remove the .TeXmacs folder, without reinstalling.
Also, is the crash report the same as the one you posted on your first message or did it change?

Removing .TeXmacs seems to fix the issue.

Not that the same problem also occurs with Mogan, where I try to open a file in iCloud Drive which has to sync before opening, it just crashes Mogan. Here’s the crash report: https://github.com/XmacsLabs/mogan/issues/370

Okay it happened again :slight_smile: . Now on TeXmacs v2.1.2. Here’s the crash report, in case it has some new information that can be useful:

1 Like

I am hitting this issue again. Now TeXmacs and Mogan won’t open. I already reinstalled them and removed .TeXmacs folder. Nothing helps. They both refuse to open.

Sorry you mean that they do not start up or that they crash while opening a file. In the first case deleting the .TeXmacs directory should clear the problem. Please be sure that you remove the right directory, in that case.

1 Like

Doesn’t start. I already removed ~/.TeXmacs directory, and reinstalled the app. Anything else I can try? Maybe there’s some other hanging file somewhere that TeXmacs leaves lying around?

1 Like

Not that I know of. You can try to create a new user and try to start TeXmacs from there to have a clean environment. Otherwise you can also try to call TeXmacs from the terminal, invoking something like “/Applications/TeXmacs.app/Content/MacOS/TeXmacs” and see what happens. Some of the output in the terminal could be useful to debug.

Where you downloaded TeXmacs?

Also, instead of double clicking over the icon in the dock you could try to find the app with the Finder and double click there to be sure you are really doing what you think you are doing.

@ad5d I find this really annoying too. One way that sometimes works for me is to try and open a different texmacs file that you haven’t opened in a while.

For some reason, I believe Mogan also experiences this sometimes.

I think here the problem is that TeXmacs does not startup. I cannot understand that erasing .TeXmacs does not cure the problem since it is the only place some state is persisted. So this make the thing quite mysterious to me. I have a Mac and never experienced problems that moving or erasing .TeXmacs cannot cure. And I believe to understand the inner working well enough to find this very puzzling. So I’m curious to see what is really going on here. If there is a bug we need to find it and remove.

For some reason, this worked. TeXmacs opened. And now it seems to be working fine again.

So I’m not sure what’s going on. This is a recurring problem (has happened a couple of times already). If there’s anything I can do to collect some more useful info next time this happens please let me know.

This works for me. removing .TeXmacs
Mac M1