Mogan v1.1.1: Faster GNU TeXmacs using KDE Breeze Icons

See Mogan v1.1.1 rc3: Using KDE Breeze Icons for Screenshots.

Still busy on preparing the 10-minute release video and the release notes, but just can not wait to share the installer for you!

Supported Platform:

For Debian or derivatives, packages/debian/package.sh should work fine.

3 Likes

repost my email here on the forum

The TeXmacs fork (Mogan Editor) is not trying the separate the community. Mogan Editor is doing many experiments like:

• Using Qt 5

• Using CMake

• Using MXE (Octave is using MXE)

• Using S7 Scheme

I (with other contributors) made many improvements and bug fixes (to be honest, I may introduce new bugs) on Mogan Editor.

Mogan Editor 1.1.1 is compatible with GNU TeXmacs 2.1.2. And you can install Mogan Editor v1.1.1 along with GNU TeXmacs.

Mogan Editor 1.1.2 will be released in 2023.

In the last two months of 2022, I will try to contribute back the good part we made in Mogan to GNU TeXmacs.

If you are using Mogan Editor, do not hesitate to tell us in this thread: the most attractive features/bug fixes of Mogan compared to GNU TeXmacs.

I will try to submit patches and discuss with Joris or other GNU TeXmacs developers to improve GNU TeXmacs.

3 Likes

I’m interested in MXE and CMake. Joris told me he is interested in the webassembly port which relies on CMake in order to run emscripten. So I think we need an healthy CMake script for TeXmacs and it would be great if you can back import your changes.

I’m very interested in Mogan, I think having more variety of implementations which can keep a very good compatibility would be a strong point for TeXmacs, not a weakness.

2 Likes

I tried the macOS version. Here’s my feedback:

• it works and loads my large TeXmacs file correctly!

However,

• it doesn’t use the macOS menu bar
  • I tried removing various GUI elements and this seemed to work.
  • however, removing “Header bars” removes the menu bar without adding the macOS menu bar
  • restarting Mogan with this setup (without the Header bars and other GUI elements) results in a crash; removing .Xmacs gets Mogan working again

Nice work although I do prefer the native macOS menu bar!

In Qt5 there are bugs which prevent an effective use of the native toolbar, even in TeXmacs this is a major issue and we do not have a reliable way to fix this.

Does Qt6 fix the menu bar issues on macOS?

BTW, have you considered not having pages in Mogan by default?

For example, viewing a help file could use “screen” mode so that you don’t need to scroll sideways when the window is narrow.

Also, for “screen” mode, maybe have an optional maximum width so that lines are not too long in full screen mode?

jingkaimori just make the Github Action work for Mogan Editor using the xmake build.

I think xmake is a better solution for GNU TeXmacs. For the next release of Mogan Editor, I will switch to xmake, and keep cmake works.

I have filed a bug report, which with Mogan but also TeXmacs. See https://github.com/XmacsLabs/mogan/issues/370.

On macOS, when I try to open a file in iCloud Drive which has to sync before opening, it just crashes Mogan / TeXmacs. Afterwards, it seems TeXmacs even refuses to start, unless I remove the ~/.TeXmacs directory. So it seems some internal file gets corrupted.

See also: Cannot open TeXmacs