For the past half year I have been exploring TeXmacs. More and more am I finding myself surprised by the versatility and inner elegancy of this program. I would like to try to create an extension to fill gaps between TeXmacs and wiki style note-taking systems (Roam Research, Obsidian).
I would like to know if it is actually feasible and what will be the expected difficulties (see proposed functions below) … Thanks!
I have always wanted to find a way of notetaking that fits my 4 core requirements, namely:
- It must allow me to type in almost verbal speed. (this eliminates LaTeX*)
- It must be truly WYSIWYG. (this Eliminates Obsidian (sorry), VNote, and basically most md-based notetaking system)
- It must be open source, with storage done primarily offline, and does not use Electron bloat (this eliminates OneNote, Notion)
- It must have good typesetting, with support over formulas. (this eliminates all rest xD)
Before TeXmacs the one that mostly fits all 4 above is Zim wiki. With configurations it performs amazingly and is very extensible. However the typesetting is rather primitive. Also due to some upstream issue there are various UX bugs that were not fixed for years.
TeXmacs fits all 4 extremely well. And it has elegant core logic, is extremely extensible and just keeps surprising me in the great documentations and various style packages. But unfortunately it is intended as a scientific document editor, hence does not support well over the multi-document wiki scenario. I have been writing some scripts externally to help me manage the files and filling the missing pieces, but it is certainly better if it can be integrated into TeXmacs itself.
(1) A treeview file browser
(2) Support for structured “search everything”
(3) Support for interlink between files and preview-ref between them
Again, I am amateur at Scheme stuff, so don’t expect too much of me But I’ll try to see if there is something I can do and will reply in this thread when there is progress. I would be even happier if there is some help I can get. Thanks xD