Created an AUR package for AppImage version

I just found the AppImage Created by @pjoyez quite useful, with almost no dependency required and speedy startup. After several days experience I ended up Creating an AUR package for Arch based users.
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/texmacs-appimage

3 Likes

do you experience the slowness @hamorabi describes here: How resposive is the maxima plugin? ?

No, I don’t see any sluggish, both on that compiled from svn trunk and AppImage version.

Are you on arch or some derivative?

Also, just to confirm, @mgubi is asking about sluggishness when using the maxima plugin.

If would not hurt to try also this AppImage to see if it helps. I have no idea why Maxima is slow on your configuration.

Are you on arch or some derivative?

I’m on arch with kernel linux 6.2.8.arch1-1.

Also, just to confirm, @mgubi is asking about sluggishness when using the maxima plugin.

Yes, both maxima-sbcl and maxima-ecl works well with my machine.

Hi hamorabi, I just set up a manjaro+plasma virtual machine and tested it for you. texmacs-appimage/maxima/maxima-sbcl doesn’t show any sluggish you described and runs quite well with 6GiB memory and 4 virtual core.

Now I think it’s a per machine problem.

2 Likes

Yeah, for the 9 last months Open Build System can’t build TeXmacs because some packages are missing in the arch repositories they provide (for instance qt5 needs duktape as a transitive dependency, but it’s not there). So, your stuff is a nice workaround for this problem! Good job.

Just one point: in principle, AppImages have no dependencies (more precisely, they are supposed to pack all the libraries needed to run the program, except those you are supposed to find in all desktop linuxes). Hence, I believe that most (if not all) of the mandatory dependencies you list, can be removed. For instance, tex-live is super heavy but not needed in any way to run TeXmacs, and python is useful only if you intend to use plugins needing it. Both should be optional dependencies.

1 Like

Yeah, for the 9 last months Open Build System can’t build TeXmacs because some packages are missing in the arch repositories they provide

But aur/texmacs-svn does build for me, how is that possible?

In the standard “repositories” OBS proposes, you can pick either Arch Extra or Arch Community, but at this point there are cross-dependencies between both repos, so it does not work. I believe it should be possible to aggregate both repos in a non-standard OBS setup, but then it’s simpler to have TeXmacs available in aur.

1 Like

Is the native build of texmacs working for you? Last time (half a year ago) I tried only the AppImage version works well

texmacs-svn works for me. Though I haven’t been using aur/texmacs, archlinuxcn has it packaged in their repo, you can have a try there.

Are you on a HiDPI display?

2560x1600. HiDPI support improves significantly since some version in the last two years.

1 Like

That was easy after all. There are finally new arch builds in my OBS repo. The issue with blutty pdfs in arch has been fixed.

1 Like