How to type Dirac Braket properly

I am using \langle and \rangle to type Dirac brakets. But the symbols can not resize automatically to fit the symbols inside, as this:
image
But document here shows a right example without explaining how to put it:
image
So how to accomplish this?

The brackets you can enter by typing <, followed by the Tab key six times.
You can get the right size separating symbol | by typing | and Tab twice.

I have tried type < and tab but give up mid way… And I just found one can put < and shift+tab to save more time. Or maybe users can change the cyclic order of < by themselves?

1 Like

I found it is easy to type Bra, just type | after I have typed < and shift+tab. But how to type Ket more conveniently?

You can do < and Shift-Tab, then put the cursor in front of <> and press Delete, then |.

1 Like

You can use ALT+L followed with < to type langle, and ALT+R followed with > to type rangle. Besides, to type | inside the Dirac Braket, just use ALT+M followed with |. These three ALT+L/M/R prefix keys can actually be used with all types of brackets. Note that all ALT+R keys must be preceded with ALT+L keys. Sometimes, these prefix keys can be omitted. For example, to type Ket, you can just type | and ALT+R with >; and to type Bra, just use ALT+L with < and |.

5 Likes

Maybe you can try to create commands to simplify every input operation of Dirac notation. Here is my programme

5 Likes

It is easy to input most of them without macros.

For bra’s: first input {, then press Tab to get ⟨⟩, and input, say, a, and then |, you will get ⟨a|.

For pro’s and mel’s, the same steps as above, and after inputting |, you press Tab, getting ⟨a|⟩.

To get ave’s, you just do the first two steps for bra’s.

It is slightly more difficult to input kets. You first input things like ⟨a⟩, then remove ⟨ and replace it by |.

2 Likes

For kets in the math mode, there are no difficulties either since they follow the same pattern. First, input | to get ||, then input, for example, a, and finally }, you will get |a}, and pressing Tab will yield |a⟩.

For more details on asymmetric brackets, please refer to The Jolly Writer Chapter 4.5.

3 Likes

I started a physics style package plugin:

We can work together to improve it. I just added ket, ket*, bra, bra*.

You can follow the pattern add more macros as an equiv of the LaTeX physics package.

1 Like