Idea: A more friendly version of TeXmacs for high school and undergraduate students

First, the menu items and other GUI elements could be made more friendly by making them more similar to Microsoft Word than a LaTeX editor.

Also, the language used to describe TeXmacs could be made more friendly. The TeXmacs web site has the following description:

“GNU TeXmacs is a free scientific editing platform designed to create beautiful technical documents using a wysiwyg interface.”

A more friendly way to say this would be:

“TeXmacs is a WYSIWYG word processor that is particularly good for documents containing math.”

or even

“TeXmacs is a WYSIWYG word processor that is better than Microsoft Word for documents containing math.”

What do you think?

I think that one of the goal of @darcy’s customization Xmacs is to be more user friendly (especially to non-scientists).

I think it is a good idea (at least worth discussing :slight_smile: ) to write a presentation of the software aimed at younger students.
For a start, one could publish it in the TeXmacs blog. If you write a draft I am going to collaborate to refine it.

@amichail There is already a setting Details in menus in Edit->Preferences. This removes some of the menus and toolbar items. You could use this as a start to implement your idea. You could remove some of the maths that are unlikely to be used in a high school setting (⊕, ↬, ⋙, …).