Incorrect space around = in "align"

I am not sure if this is a bug. In align, if I put = in the second column, then the space between = and the symbol after it is too small.
I get better spacing if I put = in the first column.
However, the exported LaTeX code of the second method is
This is bad because the generated PDF looks like the first one.

1 Like

I can use eqnarray, but the space around = is too large, and it’s obsolate in LaTeX.

My usual approach is to use a table with three columns inside a standard equation, it works well. Otherwise you could try to import a LaTeX align statement and see what TeXmacs does with it.

I also feel that TeXmacs should have a “blessed” way to do standard alignment. We tried to come up with a clean design (the align & C. stuff has some problems) but still not reached consensus.

You can also try to look at some of the papers that Joris van der Hoven (the main developer) write to get a sense of a “good” style:

https://www.texmacs.org/joris/main/publs.html

How do you deal with numbering and label if you use table?

I also tried other operators such as multiplication. The space after them is also too small. This is odd because I suppose the align is implemented by table? Then =b is just an ordinary math expression in a cell of a table.

I think TeXmacs thinks here that =b is a unary operation so use a strange spacing like for -1 vs. 1-2 (see my other comment). You might annotate the = sign by prescribing that it is binary.

I also noted that if you use \aligned instead of \align there seem to be no issue with the spacing of the equal sign.

1 Like

How can we do it in TeXmacs?

I got the same problem as align.

I believe that’s true. It’s strange that = is treated as a unary operator.