LaTeX equations in html import not rendering

Both in Texmacs as well as in Mogan Editor, the LaTeX equations, on importing html files are not rendering to equations. Rather, their LaTeX codes are appearing. Equations were all in display formats with equation numbers. But, those too are gone.

I had written a statistical article in Asciidoctor and converted that to html for distributing to students because Asciidoctor’s html format renders almost flawless. It uses mathjax 3 at present. However, they have very bad pdf rendering possibly because they don’t use LaTeX route.

I needed it’s pdf version too. So, I imported the html of that article in TeXmacs as well as in Mogan Editor. The entire article converted very nicely both in TeXmacs as well as in Mogan Editor but none of inline as well display LaTeX codes converted to rendered mathematical equations. Their bare LaTeX codes are visible in their places.

Let me remind that on fresh typing equations do appear. It is actually happening on import of html files.

I request the community as well as the developers to help me so as to what should I do for rendering these equations. They too many in number. Attempting typing them afresh is a big headache.

Thanks and regards,

Dr A. K. Singh

I suppose that it is almost impossible to have a perfect converter from HTML to TeXmacs. Conversion from LaTeX to TeXmacs is also far from being perfect. I think that difficulties are explained in https://www.texmacs.org/joris/latexconv/latexconv.pdf

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. In nutshell, no conversion would be perfect.

However, I tried differently after going through some articles, The different approach was as follows:

1. I opened the original Asciidocdor rendered html file in browser chrome.
  2. Then, I right clicked the article and selected save as html again and saved with a different name. Now, this renamed file was a bit different. Well there was no change in appearance of renamed html on reopening it. But, on save as there was created a new folder too along with renamed html file.
  3. Now, I reopened this renamed html file in TeXmacs. This time all equations appeared correctly, but with a little problem again. All the correct equations and latex symbols were preceded by those latex codes, along with equation numbers, from which they were created. The rendered equations/symbols appeared on ts right,
  4. I had to manually delete all preceding latex equations/symbols codes to get the TeXmacs file correctly as were. in original html file.

Now, if the developers take note of this, they may update TeXmacs/Mogan Editor in such a manner that this conversion becomes perfect. This would be very helpful when there would be too many equations/symbols.

Thanks and regards,

Dr. A. K. Singh

1 Like

I think the two conversions are different.
HTML to TeXmacs is format to format (possible to make it perfect). LaTeX to TeXmacs is programming language to format (not possible to make it perfect).

I think the way to submit this to the developers is through the bug tracker: http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=texmacs

TeXmacs is also programming language in some sense — I think that the TeXmacs macro system is also Turing complete.

I imagine that conversion from HTML is difficult since HTML is even not designed for typesetting, and the goal / usage of HTML is quite different from that of TeXmacs.

It is important to distinguish between the TeXmacs format and the TeXmacs macro system. The TeXmacs format is not a programming language. Let me see if I can find a good explanation of the issue, I recall a Hacker News comment that made me understand the point.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27831270

and this view is also helpful https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27820466

Generally speaking, when reporting issues, please always make sure that anyone can easily and rapidly reproduce your problem on their side, so that they can dig into it and, hopefully, fix it. In the present case, sharing the html files you have problems importing seems the appropriate thing to do. Otherwise, only people already familiar with your tools and workflow could perhaps reproduce your issue and provide the help you request, and I’m afraid there are not many on this forum.

Best,
Philippe

Thanks for your reply and concern.

I understand that problem can’t be understood correctly if it can’t be reproduced.

But, I am new here, and I don’t know how to attach a file. Otherwise I would have attached.

If possible, can you tell me how to attach a file. Then it would be crystal clear.

Thanks and regards,

Dr. A. K. Singh

Literally, one cannot upload files in this forum. However, you could do either of the following:

1. Upload the file to the bug tracker (http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=texmacs) and post a link here;
  2. Since HTML is text-based, you can simply copy-paste the source code in the forum via markdown:

``` html

[code here]
```

and if it is a bit long, you surround it by <details> and <summary> as described in https://gist.github.com/scmx/eca72d44afee0113ceb0349dd54a84a2

An example:

A sample HTML code
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<body>

<h1>My First Heading</h1>

<p>My first paragraph.</p>

</body>
</html>
1 Like

Thanks for your suggestion.

File is really long. But, I shall create a short form of it from the source, yet keeping some LaTeX codes, inline as well as display formats both, to illustrate the problem. Then I shall render it into html.

And then I will paste those html source codes in Markdown format here

Thanks and regards,

Dr. A. K. Singh

1 Like

Dear Sir,

As per your advice, I am attaching below the markdown format of html codes:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta charset="UTF-8">
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">
<meta name="generator" content="Asciidoctor 2.0.18">
<title>Introduction</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans:300,300italic,400,400italic,600,600italic%7CNoto+Serif:400,400italic,700,700italic%7CDroid+Sans+Mono:400,700">
<style>
/*! Asciidoctor default stylesheet | MIT License | https://asciidoctor.org */
/* Uncomment the following line when using as a custom stylesheet */
/* @import "https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans:300,300italic,400,400italic,600,600italic%7CNoto+Serif:400,400italic,700,700italic%7CDroid+Sans+Mono:400,700"; */
html{font-family:sans-serif;-webkit-text-size-adjust:100%}
a{background:none}
a:focus{outline:thin dotted}
a:active,a:hover{outline:0}
h1{font-size:2em;margin:.67em 0}
b,strong{font-weight:bold}
abbr{font-size:.9em}
abbr[title]{cursor:help;border-bottom:1px dotted #dddddf;text-decoration:none}
dfn{font-style:italic}
hr{height:0}
mark{background:#ff0;color:#000}
code,kbd,pre,samp{font-family:monospace;font-size:1em}
pre{white-space:pre-wrap}
q{quotes:"\201C" "\201D" "\2018" "\2019"}
small{font-size:80%}
sub,sup{font-size:75%;line-height:0;position:relative;vertical-align:baseline}
sup{top:-.5em}
sub{bottom:-.25em}
img{border:0}
svg:not(:root){overflow:hidden}
figure{margin:0}
audio,video{display:inline-block}
audio:not([controls]){display:none;height:0}
fieldset{border:1px solid silver;margin:0 2px;padding:.35em .625em .75em}
legend{border:0;padding:0}
button,input,select,textarea{font-family:inherit;font-size:100%;margin:0}
button,input{line-height:normal}
button,select{text-transform:none}
button,html input[type=button],input[type=reset],input[type=submit]{-webkit-appearance:button;cursor:pointer}
button[disabled],html input[disabled]{cursor:default}
input[type=checkbox],input[type=radio]{padding:0}
button::-moz-focus-inner,input::-moz-focus-inner{border:0;padding:0}
textarea{overflow:auto;vertical-align:top}
table{border-collapse:collapse;border-spacing:0}
*,::before,::after{box-sizing:border-box}
html,body{font-size:100%}
body{background:#fff;color:rgba(0,0,0,.8);padding:0;margin:0;font-family:"Noto Serif","DejaVu Serif",serif;line-height:1;position:relative;cursor:auto;-moz-tab-size:4;-o-tab-size:4;tab-size:4;word-wrap:anywhere;-moz-osx-font-smoothing:grayscale;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased}
a:hover{cursor:pointer}
img,object,embed{max-width:100%;height:auto}
object,embed{height:100%}
img{-ms-interpolation-mode:bicubic}
.left{float:left!important}
.right{float:right!important}
.text-left{text-align:left!important}
.text-right{text-align:right!important}
.text-center{text-align:center!important}
.text-justify{text-align:justify!important}
.hide{display:none}
img,object,svg{display:inline-block;vertical-align:middle}
textarea{height:auto;min-height:50px}
select{width:100%}
.subheader,.admonitionblock td.content>.title,.audioblock>.title,.exampleblock>.title,.imageblock>.title,.listingblock>.title,.literalblock>.title,.stemblock>.title,.openblock>.title,.paragraph>.title,.quoteblock>.title,table.tableblock>.title,.verseblock>.title,.videoblock>.title,.dlist>.title,.olist>.title,.ulist>.title,.qlist>.title,.hdlist>.title{line-height:1.45;color:#7a2518;font-weight:400;margin-top:0;margin-bottom:.25em}
div,dl,dt,dd,ul,ol,li,h1,h2,h3,#toctitle,.sidebarblock>.content>.title,h4,h5,h6,pre,form,p,blockquote,th,td{margin:0;padding:0}
a{color:#2156a5;text-decoration:underline;line-height:inherit}
a:hover,a:focus{color:#1d4b8f}
a img{border:0}
p{line-height:1.6;margin-bottom:1.25em;text-rendering:optimizeLegibility}
p aside{font-size:.875em;line-height:1.35;font-style:italic}
h1,h2,h3,#toctitle,.sidebarblock>.content>.title,h4,h5,h6{font-family:"Open Sans","DejaVu Sans",sans-serif;font-weight:300;font-style:normal;color:#ba3925;text-rendering:optimizeLegibility;margin-top:1em;margin-bottom:.5em;line-height:1.0125em}
h1 small,h2 small,h3 small,#toctitle small,.sidebarblock>.content>.title small,h4 small,h5 small,h6 small{font-size:60%;color:#e99b8f;line-height:0}
h1{font-size:2.125em}
h2{font-size:1.6875em}
h3,#toctitle,.sidebarblock>.content>.title{font-size:1.375em}
h4,h5{font-size:1.125em}
h6{font-size:1em}
hr{border:solid #dddddf;border-width:1px 0 0;clear:both;margin:1.25em 0 1.1875em}
em,i{font-style:italic;line-height:inherit}
strong,b{font-weight:bold;line-height:inherit}
small{font-size:60%;line-height:inherit}
code{font-family:"Droid Sans Mono","DejaVu Sans Mono",monospace;font-weight:400;color:rgba(0,0,0,.9)}
ul,ol,dl{line-height:1.6;margin-bottom:1.25em;list-style-position:outside;font-family:inherit}
ul,ol{margin-left:1.5em}
ul li ul,ul li ol{margin-left:1.25em;margin-bottom:0}
ul.circle{list-style-type:circle}
ul.disc{list-style-type:disc}
ul.square{list-style-type:square}
ul.circle ul:not([class]),ul.disc ul:not([class]),ul.square ul:not([class]){list-style:inherit}
ol li ul,ol li ol{margin-left:1.25em;margin-bottom:0}
dl dt{margin-bottom:.3125em;font-weight:bold}
dl dd{margin-bottom:1.25em}
blockquote{margin:0 0 1.25em;padding:.5625em 1.25em 0 1.1875em;border-left:1px solid #ddd}
blockquote,blockquote p{line-height:1.6;color:rgba(0,0,0,.85)}
@media screen and (min-width:768px){h1,h2,h3,#toctitle,.sidebarblock>.content>.title,h4,h5,h6{line-height:1.2}
h1{font-size:2.75em}
h2{font-size:2.3125em}
h3,#toctitle,.sidebarblock>.content>.title{font-size:1.6875em}
h4{font-size:1.4375em}}
table{background:#fff;margin-bottom:1.25em;border:1px solid #dedede;word-wrap:normal}
table thead,table tfoot{background:#f7f8f7}
table thead tr th,table thead tr td,table tfoot tr th,table tfoot tr td{padding:.5em .625em .625em;font-size:inherit;color:rgba(0,0,0,.8);text-align:left}
table tr th,table tr td{padding:.5625em .625em;font-size:inherit;color:rgba(0,0,0,.8)}
table tr.even,table tr.alt{background:#f8f8f7}
table thead tr th,table tfoot tr th,table tbody tr td,table tr td,table tfoot tr td{line-height:1.6}
h1,h2,h3,#toctitle,.sidebarblock>.content>.title,h4,h5,h6{line-height:1.2;word-spacing:-.05em}
h1 strong,h2 strong,h3 strong,#toctitle strong,.sidebarblock>.content>.title strong,h4 strong,h5 strong,h6 strong{font-weight:400}
.center{margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto}
.stretch{width:100%}
.clearfix::before,.clearfix::after,.float-group::before,.float-group::after{content:" ";display:table}
.clearfix::after,.float-group::after{clear:both}
:not(pre).nobreak{word-wrap:normal}
:not(pre).nowrap{white-space:nowrap}
:not(pre).pre-wrap{white-space:pre-wrap}
:not(pre):not([class^=L])>code{font-size:.9375em;font-style:normal!important;letter-spacing:0;padding:.1em .5ex;word-spacing:-.15em;background:#f7f7f8;border-radius:4px;line-height:1.45;text-rendering:optimizeSpeed}
pre{color:rgba(0,0,0,.9);font-family:"Droid Sans Mono","DejaVu Sans Mono",monospace;line-height:1.45;text-rendering:optimizeSpeed}
pre code,pre pre{color:inherit;font-size:inherit;line-height:inherit}
pre>code{display:block}
pre.nowrap,pre.nowrap pre{white-space:pre;word-wrap:normal}
em em{font-style:normal}
strong strong{font-weight:400}
.keyseq{color:rgba(51,51,51,.8)}
kbd{font-family:"Droid Sans Mono","DejaVu Sans Mono",monospace;display:inline-block;color:rgba(0,0,0,.8);font-size:.65em;line-height:1.45;background:#f7f7f7;border:1px solid #ccc;border-radius:3px;box-shadow:0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,.2),inset 0 0 0 .1em #fff;margin:0 .15em;padding:.2em .5em;vertical-align:middle;position:relative;top:-.1em;white-space:nowrap}
.keyseq kbd:first-child{margin-left:0}
.keyseq kbd:last-child{margin-right:0}
.menuseq,.menuref{color:#000}
.menuseq b:not(.caret),.menuref{font-weight:inherit}
.menuseq{word-spacing:-.02em}
.menuseq b.caret{font-size:1.25em;line-height:.8}
.menuseq i.caret{font-weight:bold;text-align:center;width:.45em}
b.button::before,b.button::after{position:relative;top:-1px;font-weight:400}
b.button::before{content:"[";padding:0 3px 0 2px}
b.button::after{content:"]";padding:0 2px 0 3px}
p a>code:hover{color:rgba(0,0,0,.9)}
#header,#content,#footnotes,#footer{width:100%;margin:0 auto;max-width:62.5em;*zoom:1;position:relative;padding-left:.9375em;padding-right:.9375em}
#header::before,#header::after,#content::before,#content::after,#footnotes::before,#footnotes::after,#footer::before,#footer::after{content:" ";display:table}
#header::after,#content::after,#footnotes::after,#footer::after{clear:both}
#content{margin-top:1.25em}
#content::before{content:none}
#header>h1:first-child{color:rgba(0,0,0,.85);margin-top:2.25rem;margin-bottom:0}
#header>h1:first-child+#toc{margin-top:8px;border-top:1px solid #dddddf}
#header>h1:only-child,body.toc2 #header>h1:nth-last-child(2){border-bottom:1px solid #dddddf;padding-bottom:8px}
#header .details{border-bottom:1px solid #dddddf;line-height:1.45;padding-top:.25em;padding-bottom:.25em;padding-left:.25em;color:rgba(0,0,0,.6);display:flex;flex-flow:row wrap}
#header .details span:first-child{margin-left:-.125em}
#header .details span.email a{color:rgba(0,0,0,.85)}
#header .details br{display:none}
#header .details br+span::before{content:"\00a0\2013\00a0"}
#header .details br+span.author::before{content:"\00a0\22c5\00a0";color:rgba(0,0,0,.85)}
#header .details br+span#revremark::before{content:"\00a0|\00a0"}
#header #revnumber{text-transform:capitalize}
#header #revnumber::after{content:"\00a0"}
#content>h1:first-child:not([class]){color:rgba(0,0,0,.85);border-bottom:1px solid #dddddf;padding-bottom:8px;margin-top:0;padding-top:1rem;margin-bottom:1.25rem}
#toc{border-bottom:1px solid #e7e7e9;padding-bottom:.5em}
#toc>ul{margin-left:.125em}
#toc ul.sectlevel0>li>a{font-style:italic}
#toc ul.sectlevel0 ul.sectlevel1{margin:.5em 0}
#toc ul{font-family:"Open Sans","DejaVu Sans",sans-serif;list-style-type:none}
#toc li{line-height:1.3334;margin-top:.3334em}
#toc a{text-decoration:none}
#toc a:active{text-decoration:underline}
#toctitle{color:#7a2518;font-size:1.2em}
@media screen and (min-width:768px){#toctitle{font-size:1.375em}
body.toc2{padding-left:15em;padding-right:0}
#toc.toc2{margin-top:0!important;background:#f8f8f7;position:fixed;width:15em;left:0;top:0;border-right:1px solid #e7e7e9;border-top-width:0!important;border-bottom-width:0!important;z-index:1000;padding:1.25em 1em;height:100%;overflow:auto}
#toc.toc2 #toctitle{margin-top:0;margin-bottom:.8rem;font-size:1.2em}
#toc.toc2>ul{font-size:.9em;margin-bottom:0}
#toc.toc2 ul ul{margin-left:0;padding-left:1em}
#toc.toc2 ul.sectlevel0 ul.sectlevel1{padding-left:0;margin-top:.5em;margin-bottom:.5em}
body.toc2.toc-right{padding-left:0;padding-right:15em}
body.toc2.toc-right #toc.toc2{border-right-width:0;border-left:1px solid #e7e7e9;left:auto;right:0}}
@media screen and (min-width:1280px){body.toc2{padding-left:20em;padding-right:0}
#toc.toc2{width:20em}
#toc.toc2 #toctitle{font-size:1.375em}
#toc.toc2>ul{font-size:.95em}
#toc.toc2 ul ul{padding-left:1.25em}
body.toc2.toc-right{padding-left:0;padding-right:20em}}
#content #toc{border:1px solid #e0e0dc;margin-bottom:1.25em;padding:1.25em;background:#f8f8f7;border-radius:4px}
#content #toc>:first-child{margin-top:0}
#content #toc>:last-child{margin-bottom:0}
#footer{max-width:none;background:rgba(0,0,0,.8);padding:1.25em}
#footer-text{color:hsla(0,0%,100%,.8);line-height:1.44}
#content{margin-bottom:.625em}
.sect1{padding-bottom:.625em}
@media screen and (min-width:768px){#content{margin-bottom:1.25em}
.sect1{padding-bottom:1.25em}}
.sect1:last-child{padding-bottom:0}
.sect1+.sect1{border-top:1px solid #e7e7e9}
#content h1>a.anchor,h2>a.anchor,h3>a.anchor,#toctitle>a.anchor,.sidebarblock>.content>.title>a.anchor,h4>a.anchor,h5>a.anchor,h6>a.anchor{position:absolute;z-index:1001;width:1.5ex;margin-left:-1.5ex;display:block;text-decoration:none!important;visibility:hidden;text-align:center;font-weight:400}
#content h1>a.anchor::before,h2>a.anchor::before,h3>a.anchor::before,#toctitle>a.anchor::before,.sidebarblock>.content>.title>a.anchor::before,h4>a.anchor::before,h5>a.anchor::before,h6>a.anchor::before{content:"\00A7";font-size:.85em;display:block;padding-top:.1em}
#content h1:hover>a.anchor,#content h1>a.anchor:hover,h2:hover>a.anchor,h2>a.anchor:hover,h3:hover>a.anchor,#toctitle:hover>a.anchor,.sidebarblock>.content>.title:hover>a.anchor,h3>a.anchor:hover,#toctitle>a.anchor:hover,.sidebarblock>.content>.title>a.anchor:hover,h4:hover>a.anchor,h4>a.anchor:hover,h5:hover>a.anchor,h5>a.anchor:hover,h6:hover>a.anchor,h6>a.anchor:hover{visibility:visible}
#content h1>a.link,h2>a.link,h3>a.link,#toctitle>a.link,.sidebarblock>.content>.title>a.link,h4>a.link,h5>a.link,h6>a.link{color:#ba3925;text-decoration:none}
#content h1>a.link:hover,h2>a.link:hover,h3>a.link:hover,#toctitle>a.link:hover,.sidebarblock>.content>.title>a.link:hover,h4>a.link:hover,h5>a.link:hover,h6>a.link:hover{color:#a53221}
details,.audioblock,.imageblock,.literalblock,.listingblock,.stemblock,.videoblock{margin-bottom:1.25em}
details{margin-left:1.25rem}
details>summary{cursor:pointer;display:block;position:relative;line-height:1.6;margin-bottom:.625rem;outline:none;-webkit-tap-highlight-color:transparent}
details>summary::-webkit-details-marker{display:none}
details>summary::before{content:"";border:solid transparent;border-left:solid;border-width:.3em 0 .3em .5em;position:absolute;top:.5em;left:-1.25rem;transform:translateX(15%)}
details[open]>summary::before{border:solid transparent;border-top:solid;border-width:.5em .3em 0;transform:translateY(15%)}
details>summary::after{content:"";width:1.25rem;height:1em;position:absolute;top:.3em;left:-1.25rem}
.admonitionblock td.content>.title,.audioblock>.title,.exampleblock>.title,.imageblock>.title,.listingblock>.title,.literalblock>.title,.stemblock>.title,.openblock>.title,.paragraph>.title,.quoteblock>.title,table.tableblock>.title,.verseblock>.title,.videoblock>.title,.dlist>.title,.olist>.title,.ulist>.title,.qlist>.title,.hdlist>.title{text-rendering:optimizeLegibility;text-align:left;font-family:"Noto Serif","DejaVu Serif",serif;font-size:1rem;font-style:italic}
table.tableblock.fit-content>caption.title{white-space:nowrap;width:0}
.paragraph.lead>p,#preamble>.sectionbody>[class=paragraph]:first-of-type p{font-size:1.21875em;line-height:1.6;color:rgba(0,0,0,.85)}
.admonitionblock>table{border-collapse:separate;border:0;background:none;width:100%}
.admonitionblock>table td.icon{text-align:center;width:80px}
.admonitionblock>table td.icon img{max-width:none}
.admonitionblock>table td.icon .title{font-weight:bold;font-family:"Open Sans","DejaVu Sans",sans-serif;text-transform:uppercase}
.admonitionblock>table td.content{padding-left:1.125em;padding-right:1.25em;border-left:1px solid #dddddf;color:rgba(0,0,0,.6);word-wrap:anywhere}
.admonitionblock>table td.content>:last-child>:last-child{margin-bottom:0}
.exampleblock>.content{border:1px solid #e6e6e6;margin-bottom:1.25em;padding:1.25em;background:#fff;border-radius:4px}
.exampleblock>.content>:first-child{margin-top:0}
.exampleblock>.content>:last-child{margin-bottom:0}
.sidebarblock{border:1px solid #dbdbd6;margin-bottom:1.25em;padding:1.25em;background:#f3f3f2;border-radius:4px}
.sidebarblock>:first-child{margin-top:0}
.sidebarblock>:last-child{margin-bottom:0}
.sidebarblock>.content>.title{color:#7a2518;margin-top:0;text-align:center}
.exampleblock>.content>:last-child>:last-child,.exampleblock>.content .olist>ol>li:last-child>:last-child,.exampleblock>.content .ulist>ul>li:last-child>:last-child,.exampleblock>.content .qlist>ol>li:last-child>:last-child,.sidebarblock>.content>:last-child>:last-child,.sidebarblock>.content .olist>ol>li:last-child>:last-child,.sidebarblock>.content .ulist>ul>li:last-child>:last-child,.sidebarblock>.content .qlist>ol>li:last-child>:last-child{margin-bottom:0}
.literalblock pre,.listingblock>.content>pre{border-radius:4px;overflow-x:auto;padding:1em;font-size:.8125em}
@media screen and (min-width:768px){.literalblock pre,.listingblock>.content>pre{font-size:.90625em}}
@media screen and (min-width:1280px){.literalblock pre,.listingblock>.content>pre{font-size:1em}}
.literalblock pre,.listingblock>.content>pre:not(.highlight),.listingblock>.content>pre[class=highlight],.listingblock>.content>pre[class^="highlight "]{background:#f7f7f8}
.literalblock.output pre{color:#f7f7f8;background:rgba(0,0,0,.9)}
.listingblock>.content{position:relative}
.listingblock code[data-lang]::before{display:none;content:attr(data-lang);position:absolute;font-size:.75em;top:.425rem;right:.5rem;line-height:1;text-transform:uppercase;color:inherit;opacity:.5}
.listingblock:hover code[data-lang]::before{display:block}
.listingblock.terminal pre .command::before{content:attr(data-prompt);padding-right:.5em;color:inherit;opacity:.5}
.listingblock.terminal pre .command:not([data-prompt])::before{content:"$"}
.listingblock pre.highlightjs{padding:0}
.listingblock pre.highlightjs>code{padding:1em;border-radius:4px}
.listingblock pre.prettyprint{border-width:0}
.prettyprint{background:#f7f7f8}
pre.prettyprint .linenums{line-height:1.45;margin-left:2em}
pre.prettyprint li{background:none;list-style-type:inherit;padding-left:0}
pre.prettyprint li code[data-lang]::before{opacity:1}
pre.prettyprint li:not(:first-child) code[data-lang]::before{display:none}
table.linenotable{border-collapse:separate;border:0;margin-bottom:0;background:none}
table.linenotable td[class]{color:inherit;vertical-align:top;padding:0;line-height:inherit;white-space:normal}
table.linenotable td.code{padding-left:.75em}
table.linenotable td.linenos,pre.pygments .linenos{border-right:1px solid;opacity:.35;padding-right:.5em;-webkit-user-select:none;-moz-user-select:none;-ms-user-select:none;user-select:none}
pre.pygments span.linenos{display:inline-block;margin-right:.75em}
.quoteblock{margin:0 1em 1.25em 1.5em;display:table}
.quoteblock:not(.excerpt)>.title{margin-left:-1.5em;margin-bottom:.75em}
.quoteblock blockquote,.quoteblock p{color:rgba(0,0,0,.85);font-size:1.15rem;line-height:1.75;word-spacing:.1em;letter-spacing:0;font-style:italic;text-align:justify}
.quoteblock blockquote{margin:0;padding:0;border:0}
.quoteblock blockquote::before{content:"\201c";float:left;font-size:2.75em;font-weight:bold;line-height:.6em;margin-left:-.6em;color:#7a2518;text-shadow:0 1px 2px rgba(0,0,0,.1)}
.quoteblock blockquote>.paragraph:last-child p{margin-bottom:0}
.quoteblock .attribution{margin-top:.75em;margin-right:.5ex;text-align:right}
.verseblock{margin:0 1em 1.25em}
.verseblock pre{font-family:"Open Sans","DejaVu Sans",sans-serif;font-size:1.15rem;color:rgba(0,0,0,.85);font-weight:300;text-rendering:optimizeLegibility}
.verseblock pre strong{font-weight:400}
.verseblock .attribution{margin-top:1.25rem;margin-left:.5ex}
.quoteblock .attribution,.verseblock .attribution{font-size:.9375em;line-height:1.45;font-style:italic}
.quoteblock .attribution br,.verseblock .attribution br{display:none}
.quoteblock .attribution cite,.verseblock .attribution cite{display:block;letter-spacing:-.025em;color:rgba(0,0,0,.6)}
.quoteblock.abstract blockquote::before,.quoteblock.excerpt blockquote::before,.quoteblock .quoteblock blockquote::before{display:none}
.quoteblock.abstract blockquote,.quoteblock.abstract p,.quoteblock.excerpt blockquote,.quoteblock.excerpt p,.quoteblock .quoteblock blockquote,.quoteblock .quoteblock p{line-height:1.6;word-spacing:0}
.quoteblock.abstract{margin:0 1em 1.25em;display:block}
.quoteblock.abstract>.title{margin:0 0 .375em;font-size:1.15em;text-align:center}
.quoteblock.excerpt>blockquote,.quoteblock .quoteblock{padding:0 0 .25em 1em;border-left:.25em solid #dddddf}
.quoteblock.excerpt,.quoteblock .quoteblock{margin-left:0}
.quoteblock.excerpt blockquote,.quoteblock.excerpt p,.quoteblock .quoteblock blockquote,.quoteblock .quoteblock p{color:inherit;font-size:1.0625rem}
.quoteblock.excerpt .attribution,.quoteblock .quoteblock .attribution{color:inherit;font-size:.85rem;text-align:left;margin-right:0}
p.tableblock:last-child{margin-bottom:0}
td.tableblock>.content{margin-bottom:1.25em;word-wrap:anywhere}
td.tableblock>.content>:last-child{margin-bottom:-1.25em}
table.tableblock,th.tableblock,td.tableblock{border:0 solid #dedede}
table.grid-all>*>tr>*{border-width:1px}
table.grid-cols>*>tr>*{border-width:0 1px}
table.grid-rows>*>tr>*{border-width:1px 0}
table.frame-all{border-width:1px}
table.frame-ends{border-width:1px 0}
table.frame-sides{border-width:0 1px}
table.frame-none>colgroup+*>:first-child>*,table.frame-sides>colgroup+*>:first-child>*{border-top-width:0}
table.frame-none>:last-child>:last-child>*,table.frame-sides>:last-child>:last-child>*{border-bottom-width:0}
table.frame-none>*>tr>:first-child,table.frame-ends>*>tr>:first-child{border-left-width:0}
table.frame-none>*>tr>:last-child,table.frame-ends>*>tr>:last-child{border-right-width:0}
table.stripes-all>*>tr,table.stripes-odd>*>tr:nth-of-type(odd),table.stripes-even>*>tr:nth-of-type(even),table.stripes-hover>*>tr:hover{background:#f8f8f7}
th.halign-left,td.halign-left{text-align:left}
th.halign-right,td.halign-right{text-align:right}
th.halign-center,td.halign-center{text-align:center}
th.valign-top,td.valign-top{vertical-align:top}
th.valign-bottom,td.valign-bottom{vertical-align:bottom}
th.valign-middle,td.valign-middle{vertical-align:middle}
table thead th,table tfoot th{font-weight:bold}
tbody tr th{background:#f7f8f7}
tbody tr th,tbody tr th p,tfoot tr th,tfoot tr th p{color:rgba(0,0,0,.8);font-weight:bold}
p.tableblock>code:only-child{background:none;padding:0}
p.tableblock{font-size:1em}
ol{margin-left:1.75em}
ul li ol{margin-left:1.5em}
dl dd{margin-left:1.125em}
dl dd:last-child,dl dd:last-child>:last-child{margin-bottom:0}
li p,ul dd,ol dd,.olist .olist,.ulist .ulist,.ulist .olist,.olist .ulist{margin-bottom:.625em}
ul.checklist,ul.none,ol.none,ul.no-bullet,ol.no-bullet,ol.unnumbered,ul.unstyled,ol.unstyled{list-style-type:none}
ul.no-bullet,ol.no-bullet,ol.unnumbered{margin-left:.625em}
ul.unstyled,ol.unstyled{margin-left:0}
li>p:empty:only-child::before{content:"";display:inline-block}
ul.checklist>li>p:first-child{margin-left:-1em}
ul.checklist>li>p:first-child>.fa-square-o:first-child,ul.checklist>li>p:first-child>.fa-check-square-o:first-child{width:1.25em;font-size:.8em;position:relative;bottom:.125em}
ul.checklist>li>p:first-child>input[type=checkbox]:first-child{margin-right:.25em}
ul.inline{display:flex;flex-flow:row wrap;list-style:none;margin:0 0 .625em -1.25em}
ul.inline>li{margin-left:1.25em}
.unstyled dl dt{font-weight:400;font-style:normal}
ol.arabic{list-style-type:decimal}
ol.decimal{list-style-type:decimal-leading-zero}
ol.loweralpha{list-style-type:lower-alpha}
ol.upperalpha{list-style-type:upper-alpha}
ol.lowerroman{list-style-type:lower-roman}
ol.upperroman{list-style-type:upper-roman}
ol.lowergreek{list-style-type:lower-greek}
.hdlist>table,.colist>table{border:0;background:none}
.hdlist>table>tbody>tr,.colist>table>tbody>tr{background:none}
td.hdlist1,td.hdlist2{vertical-align:top;padding:0 .625em}
td.hdlist1{font-weight:bold;padding-bottom:1.25em}
td.hdlist2{word-wrap:anywhere}
.literalblock+.colist,.listingblock+.colist{margin-top:-.5em}
.colist td:not([class]):first-child{padding:.4em .75em 0;line-height:1;vertical-align:top}
.colist td:not([class]):first-child img{max-width:none}
.colist td:not([class]):last-child{padding:.25em 0}
.thumb,.th{line-height:0;display:inline-block;border:4px solid #fff;box-shadow:0 0 0 1px #ddd}
.imageblock.left{margin:.25em .625em 1.25em 0}
.imageblock.right{margin:.25em 0 1.25em .625em}
.imageblock>.title{margin-bottom:0}
.imageblock.thumb,.imageblock.th{border-width:6px}
.imageblock.thumb>.title,.imageblock.th>.title{padding:0 .125em}
.image.left,.image.right{margin-top:.25em;margin-bottom:.25em;display:inline-block;line-height:0}
.image.left{margin-right:.625em}
.image.right{margin-left:.625em}
a.image{text-decoration:none;display:inline-block}
a.image object{pointer-events:none}
sup.footnote,sup.footnoteref{font-size:.875em;position:static;vertical-align:super}
sup.footnote a,sup.footnoteref a{text-decoration:none}
sup.footnote a:active,sup.footnoteref a:active{text-decoration:underline}
#footnotes{padding-top:.75em;padding-bottom:.75em;margin-bottom:.625em}
#footnotes hr{width:20%;min-width:6.25em;margin:-.25em 0 .75em;border-width:1px 0 0}
#footnotes .footnote{padding:0 .375em 0 .225em;line-height:1.3334;font-size:.875em;margin-left:1.2em;margin-bottom:.2em}
#footnotes .footnote a:first-of-type{font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none;margin-left:-1.05em}
#footnotes .footnote:last-of-type{margin-bottom:0}
#content #footnotes{margin-top:-.625em;margin-bottom:0;padding:.75em 0}
div.unbreakable{page-break-inside:avoid}
.big{font-size:larger}
.small{font-size:smaller}
.underline{text-decoration:underline}
.overline{text-decoration:overline}
.line-through{text-decoration:line-through}
.aqua{color:#00bfbf}
.aqua-background{background:#00fafa}
.black{color:#000}
.black-background{background:#000}
.blue{color:#0000bf}
.blue-background{background:#0000fa}
.fuchsia{color:#bf00bf}
.fuchsia-background{background:#fa00fa}
.gray{color:#606060}
.gray-background{background:#7d7d7d}
.green{color:#006000}
.green-background{background:#007d00}
.lime{color:#00bf00}
.lime-background{background:#00fa00}
.maroon{color:#600000}
.maroon-background{background:#7d0000}
.navy{color:#000060}
.navy-background{background:#00007d}
.olive{color:#606000}
.olive-background{background:#7d7d00}
.purple{color:#600060}
.purple-background{background:#7d007d}
.red{color:#bf0000}
.red-background{background:#fa0000}
.silver{color:#909090}
.silver-background{background:#bcbcbc}
.teal{color:#006060}
.teal-background{background:#007d7d}
.white{color:#bfbfbf}
.white-background{background:#fafafa}
.yellow{color:#bfbf00}
.yellow-background{background:#fafa00}
span.icon>.fa{cursor:default}
a span.icon>.fa{cursor:inherit}
.admonitionblock td.icon [class^="fa icon-"]{font-size:2.5em;text-shadow:1px 1px 2px rgba(0,0,0,.5);cursor:default}
.admonitionblock td.icon .icon-note::before{content:"\f05a";color:#19407c}
.admonitionblock td.icon .icon-tip::before{content:"\f0eb";text-shadow:1px 1px 2px rgba(155,155,0,.8);color:#111}
.admonitionblock td.icon .icon-warning::before{content:"\f071";color:#bf6900}
.admonitionblock td.icon .icon-caution::before{content:"\f06d";color:#bf3400}
.admonitionblock td.icon .icon-important::before{content:"\f06a";color:#bf0000}
.conum[data-value]{display:inline-block;color:#fff!important;background:rgba(0,0,0,.8);border-radius:50%;text-align:center;font-size:.75em;width:1.67em;height:1.67em;line-height:1.67em;font-family:"Open Sans","DejaVu Sans",sans-serif;font-style:normal;font-weight:bold}
.conum[data-value] *{color:#fff!important}
.conum[data-value]+b{display:none}
.conum[data-value]::after{content:attr(data-value)}
pre .conum[data-value]{position:relative;top:-.125em}
b.conum *{color:inherit!important}
.conum:not([data-value]):empty{display:none}
dt,th.tableblock,td.content,div.footnote{text-rendering:optimizeLegibility}
h1,h2,p,td.content,span.alt,summary{letter-spacing:-.01em}
p strong,td.content strong,div.footnote strong{letter-spacing:-.005em}
p,blockquote,dt,td.content,span.alt,summary{font-size:1.0625rem}
p{margin-bottom:1.25rem}
.sidebarblock p,.sidebarblock dt,.sidebarblock td.content,p.tableblock{font-size:1em}
.exampleblock>.content{background:#fffef7;border-color:#e0e0dc;box-shadow:0 1px 4px #e0e0dc}
.print-only{display:none!important}
@page{margin:1.25cm .75cm}
@media print{*{box-shadow:none!important;text-shadow:none!important}
html{font-size:80%}
a{color:inherit!important;text-decoration:underline!important}
a.bare,a[href^="#"],a[href^="mailto:"]{text-decoration:none!important}
a[href^="http:"]:not(.bare)::after,a[href^="https:"]:not(.bare)::after{content:"(" attr(href) ")";display:inline-block;font-size:.875em;padding-left:.25em}
abbr[title]{border-bottom:1px dotted}
abbr[title]::after{content:" (" attr(title) ")"}
pre,blockquote,tr,img,object,svg{page-break-inside:avoid}
thead{display:table-header-group}
svg{max-width:100%}
p,blockquote,dt,td.content{font-size:1em;orphans:3;widows:3}
h2,h3,#toctitle,.sidebarblock>.content>.title{page-break-after:avoid}
#header,#content,#footnotes,#footer{max-width:none}
#toc,.sidebarblock,.exampleblock>.content{background:none!important}
#toc{border-bottom:1px solid #dddddf!important;padding-bottom:0!important}
body.book #header{text-align:center}
body.book #header>h1:first-child{border:0!important;margin:2.5em 0 1em}
body.book #header .details{border:0!important;display:block;padding:0!important}
body.book #header .details span:first-child{margin-left:0!important}
body.book #header .details br{display:block}
body.book #header .details br+span::before{content:none!important}
body.book #toc{border:0!important;text-align:left!important;padding:0!important;margin:0!important}
body.book #toc,body.book #preamble,body.book h1.sect0,body.book .sect1>h2{page-break-before:always}
.listingblock code[data-lang]::before{display:block}
#footer{padding:0 .9375em}
.hide-on-print{display:none!important}
.print-only{display:block!important}
.hide-for-print{display:none!important}
.show-for-print{display:inherit!important}}
@media amzn-kf8,print{#header>h1:first-child{margin-top:1.25rem}
.sect1{padding:0!important}
.sect1+.sect1{border:0}
#footer{background:none}
#footer-text{color:rgba(0,0,0,.6);font-size:.9em}}
@media amzn-kf8{#header,#content,#footnotes,#footer{padding:0}}
</style>
</head>
<body class="article">
<div id="header">
</div>
<div id="content">
<div class="sect1">
<h2 id="_introduction">Introduction</h2>
<div class="sectionbody">
<div class="paragraph">
<p>In a oneway classification, the typical analysis of variance model for the value <strong><em>Y<sub>ij</sub></em></strong> of the <em>j<sup>th</sup></em> observation in the <em>i<sup>th</sup></em> class is given by,</p>
</div>
<div id="eq:lin-model" class="stemblock">
<div class="title">Basic linear model</div>
<div class="content">
\[Y_{ij} = \mu_i + e_{ij}\]
</div>
</div>
<div class="paragraph">
<p>where the \(\mu_i\) in the basic linear model at <a href="#eq:lin-model">Equation (1)</a>, represent the population means of the <strong><em>classes</em></strong> and the \(e_{ij}\) are
the \(j^{th}\) residuals for the \(i^{th}\) class. But suppose that on each unit we have also measured another variable latexmah:[X_{ij}] that is linearly related to \(Y_{ij}\). It is natural to set up the model,</p>
</div>
<div id="lin-model-X" class="stemblock">
<div class="title">Basic covariance model with linear regression of <strong>Y</strong> on covariate <strong>X</strong></div>
<div class="content">
\[Y_{ij} = \mu_i + \beta (X_{ij}-\bar X)+ \epsilon_{ij}\]
</div>
</div>
<div id="lin-model-X-alpha" class="stemblock">
<div class="title">Basic covariance model in CRD with linear regression of <strong>Y</strong> on covariate <strong>X</strong></div>
<div class="content">
\[Y_{ij} = \mu + \alpha_i + \beta (X_{ij}-\bar X)+ \epsilon_{ij}\]
</div>
</div>
<div class="paragraph">
<p>where, \(\alpha_i = \mu_i - \mu\) and \(\beta\) is the regression coefficient of <strong><em>Y</em></strong> on <strong><em>X</em></strong>. The <a href="#lin-model-X">Equation (2)</a> is a typical <strong><em>model for the analysis of covariance after removing the general means \(\mu\) from group means \(\mu_i\)</em></strong> and the <a href="#lin-model-X-alpha">Equation (3)</a> is a typical <strong><em>model for the analysis of covariance in CRD</em></strong>.</p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<div id="footer">
<div id="footer-text">
Last updated 2023-08-07 14:32:39 +0530
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

And this is what appears in Texmacs as below on import as html: You can also import as html to verify the same.

Thanks and regards

Introduction
In a oneway classification, the typical analysis of variance model for the value Y_ij of the j^th observation in the i^th class is given by,
Basic linear model
[Y_{ij} = \mu_i + e_{ij}]
where the (\mu_i) in the basic linear model at Equation (1), represent the population means of the classes and the (e_{ij}) are the (j^{th}) residuals for the (i^{th}) class. But suppose that on each unit we have also measured another variable latexmah:[X_{ij}] that is linearly related to (Y_{ij}). It is natural to set up the model,
Basic covariance model with linear regression of Y on covariate X
[Y_{ij} = \mu_i + \beta (X_{ij}-\bar X)+ \epsilon_{ij}]
Basic covariance model in CRD with linear regression of Y on covariate X
[Y_{ij} = \mu + \alpha_i + \beta (X_{ij}-\bar X)+ \epsilon_{ij}]
where, (\alpha_i = \mu_i - \mu) and (\beta) is the regression coefficient of Y on X. The Equation (2) is a typical model for the analysis of covariance after removing the general means (\mu) from group means (\mu_i) and the Equation (3) is a typical model for the analysis of covariance in CRD.
Last updated 2023-08-07 14:32:39 +0530

I opened this html in Firefox and Chromium, and the mathematical formulae are not rendered. Anyways, there should be some marker so that TeXmacs could recognize it. I don’t think it a good idea to recognize everything between \[ and \] in an HTML file as a LaTeX formula.

You have to add the initialization code for MathJax (see https://www.mathjax.org/#gettingstarted).

For the conversion into TeXmacs, I tried also substituting $$ $$ for \[ \] and it still did not work. @mgubi wrote in https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27034589 that

TeXmacs can import HTML (e.g. Wikipedia pages) including proper recovery of mathematical formulas from MathJaX or MathML.

Does someone know what is happening? @akhileshsingh.igkv, could you post as well a snippet of the file in which conversion of formulae works?

I was wrong in stating that it is easy, I was missing important details; pls. see https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27047780

Saving the file from the browser transforms the LaTeX-style math notation in the original file to MathML, which TeXmacs can import.

If I add MathJax, open with Firefox, save from Firefox, then import to TeXmacs, I get a good result:

This works, and it seems that the MathML has special markers for displayed formulae.

I tried to export to HTML with MathML in TeXmacs. It seems that the exported HTML does not have real displayed formulae, but using a middle-aligned pad inline mathematics to mimic: if you export a TeXmacs file (with displayed formulae) to HTML, and then import that HTML from TeXmacs, all displayed formulae become inline formula with a middle-aligned pad.

This seems to be something that could be improved.

Dear Developers,
From your conversation, it appears to me that you have identified the root cause of this problem. Hope that it will be resolved soon.

Thanks and regards,

Dr A. K. Singh