Now that Windows can run Linux gui apps, will the Windows version of TeXmacs continue?

And if so, what advantages does it have over running the Linux version under Windows?

Here are a few reasons that I can think of:

1. Most users aren’t familiar with Linux and they just want use the software without much hassle (using Linux is definitely a hassle for most non-devs, i.e., users). There can be a lot of hiccups here and there for WSLg (basically you will be forcing ppl that aren’t expert on Linux/Unix to learn a bit of Linux/Unix), which can result in terrible user experience. I guess until Microsoft makes it that Linux app can run seamlessly on Windows 10, there’s still a huge advantage for building and providing a Windows port.
  2. Usually building application for the native system brings the best user experience, though the current implementation of TeXmacs is not optimizing/targeting for Windows. As far as I can tell Mac is the best platform for TeXmacs – main devs are on that platform.
  3. Maintaining Linux port is also a huge effort, given the fast-pace, aggressive development efforts happening on Linux. Unless, Microsoft stays on one Linux kernel, one set of toolchain for their WSLg distribution, and enables WSLg by default, TeXmacs maintainers will also need to pay that price. In comparison, TeXmacs Windows port is usually, built once, run on almost all Windows distributions.

I`m a windows user of texmacs.

I teach at the University and I actively promote the use of texmacs in my classes. In my opinion jumping into linux will simply collapse the use. Texmacs would become another marginal app used by a minority.
Last time i did it
30 students in class= 28 windows users+2 mac Users
You should not overestimate the flexibility of young users

Regards

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing that experience @Pdiazs! I’m wondering how that went. Any major obstacles? Did the students end up using TeXmacs?

there is a group that has adopted it for daily work and their dissertation, some videos presenting exercises during the pandemics have helped.
Moreover as i use the program for daily class they attempt to follow the class.
Not too many but quite a few (about 10) have actually installed and used. But I keep trying

3 Likes