Questions regarding "Book" Document style

I am writing my thesis using Texmacs and I’m about to finish. I am using the “Book” Document format since I need to organize things into chapters. I have a couple of questions.

1. How do I add sections like Acknowledgement, Dedication, etc. ?
  2. At the moment, there’s about 5 empty pages between the title page and the table of contents page. Why are there 5 empty pages and how can I get rid of them?
  3. I would like to number my table of contents with roman numerals and from the start of chapter 1 with arabic numerals. Is this possible?
  4. My citations are not in order. For example, in chapter 1, I have citation number 20, and in chapter 4, I have citation 1. How can I have the citations in the order in which they appear.

Sorry for asking so many questions at once.

Hi @hamorabi, well done on nearly finishing your thesis!

1. There is a tag “Insert -> Enunciation -> Acknowledgements”.

Let me think about 2 and 3.

1. This post might help Reference order are not sorted correct

With 3., do you mean numbering the pages with Roman numerals, or the chapters and sections?

Thanks for the reply.

Let me explain what I want to do. As you know, you need to have the following pages for your thesis:

1. Title page, where you write the name of the university, then title of thesis, then names, etc. I would like to be able to create such a tile page. Using the default “Title” does not allow me to do this. At the moment, I am not using the default “Title”. I just formatted the page the way I like, but the page is getting numbered and has the header of the last section in the document, which happens to be “Bibliography” at the moment. I would like to know how to add no numbers or headers to this page.

2. At the moment, the table of contents page is numbered according the actual page number. I want the numbering to begin at the table of contents page and use roman numerals for that.

3. I would also like to have the first page of chapter 1 to start with page number 1 instead of the actual location in the document.

4. How do I remove blank pages?

You can change the page numbering to roman by doing

<assign|page-odd-footer|<number|<page-the-page>|roman>>
<assign|page-even-footer|<number|<page-the-page>|roman>>

and then reset it to arabic

<assign|page-odd-footer|<number|<page-the-page>|arabic>>
<assign|page-even-footer|<number|<page-the-page>|arabic>>

Edit: this only affects the display of the page number in the footer. Something else will be needed to have it displayed in the toc, I think

You can reset the page number by doing

<assign|page-nr|1>

Thanks! checked this page. The references get sorted in the order in which they appear, but as soon as I add a table of content, the citation numbers start from some value other than 1. Any idea what might be causing this?

I think I have found the reason why the citations are not starting from 1 in the first chapter. It is because when the list of figures is generated, the titles have the citations with them. Is it possible to ignore the citations in the figures when generating list of figures?

For your point number 4

please see if the following thread is helpful

I will look into it with more attention later.

These redefinitions in your preamble should remove a few of the blank pages; I have removed a <new-dpage*> from the definition of chapter-title and assigned new macros so that the table of contents macro uses them in place of the default ones.

<assign|render-table-of-contents|<\macro|name|body>
  <with|chapter-toc|<macro|name|>|section-toc|<macro|name|>|<compound|tableofcontents-principal-section*|<arg|name>>>

<with|par-first|0fn|par-par-sep|0fn|<arg|body>>
</macro>>

<assign|tableofcontents-principal-section*|<macro|title|<if|<sectional-short-style>|<section*|<arg|title>>|<tableofcontents-chapter*|<arg|title>>>>>

<assign|tableofcontents-chapter*|<macro|title|<assign|chapter-numbered|false><assign|chapter-prefix|<macro|>><compound|chapter-clean><compound|chapter-header|<arg|title>><compound|chapter-toc|<arg|title>><compound|tableofcontents-chapter-unnumbered-title|<arg|title>>>>

<assign|tableofcontents-chapter-unnumbered-title|<macro|title|<compound|tableofcontents-chapter-title|<arg|title><compound|chapter-post-sep>>>>

<assign|tableofcontents-chapter-title|<macro|name|<no-indent><new-line><no-indent><vspace*|5fn><with|math-font-series|bold|font-series|bold|<really-huge|<arg|name>>><vspace|2fn><no-page-break><no-indent*>>>

Unfortunately, this code didn’t remove the blank pages between chapters.

Let me think about the blank pages between chapters.
In the meantime, does this code not do anything? Does it remove some of the blank pages between the title page and the table of contents? I wrote it to do that.

I didn’t notice a difference compared to before. Have a look.

@pireddag’s suggestion to remove the blank page between chapters works for me:

This is what I tried:

<assign|chapter-title|<macro|name|<style-with|src-compact|none|<no-indent><new-line><no-indent><vspace*|5fn><with|math-font-series|bold|font-series|bold|<really-huge|<arg|name>>><vspace|2fn><no-page-break><no-indent*>>>>

You can experiment with doc-make-title. There are some new-page tags in there (see title-book.ts).

You could try this:

<assign|doc-make-title|<\macro|body>
  <no-indent><assign|page-this-header|><assign|page-this-footer|><vspace|0.25pag>

<doc-title-block|<font-magnify|1.414|<arg|body>>>

<new-page>
</macro>>

While this removes the blank pages, chapters no longer start in new pages.

So I removed the wrong new-page :slight_smile: Please have a look at title-book.ts and try to remove the other new-page.

The image shows the blank page before chapter 3, what I wrote should remove some of the blank pages between the title and the table of contents (not between chapter).

I hope you have been able to use @jeroen’s suggestion, otherwise we can investigate more.

Post-scriptum

you can attach images to forum posts, I forgot which are the accepted formats, but some of them are popular ones.