Reference Search Feature

During the TeXmacs promo video, at around 1:23, a reference search feature is demonstrated where after clicking a magnifying glass a list of references appears. I don’t seem to have this feature and I was wondering on how I could get it. Currently, when I type \cite, a magnifying glass does not appear.

Find attached the promo vide: A quick tour of TeXmacs - YouTube

Hello @spaceman and welcome to the forum!

TeXmacs has two methods to add a bibliography, you can load reference from an external bibtex file, or you can use an internal database. The search tool currently only works with the internal database.

To access the database, enable Tools -> Database tool, then go to Data -> Open bibliography. From there you can add your reference or import bibtex files to the internal database.

1 Like

@jeroen I see, thank you for the reply. Is there a way to link to a database to a Zotero generated .bib file? So that whenever I save a new reference on Zotero, the database is then updated?

I don’t think such a synchronisation is currently implemented. It may not be so difficult to add via a Scheme script.

An easier solution is probably to use this:

1 Like

My current workflow with zotero uses their betterbibtex plugin. It can maintain an updated .bib file of a given subset of references with proper labels. It is then enough to activate the “Database tool” in “Tools” and then in “Data” do “Open bibliography” and then in “Data->Import” point to that “.bib” file to import the items. TeXmacs remembers the import so you can reimport again when the .bib file changes. Probably this can be automated but I do not feel the need.

2 Likes

@mgubi and @jeroen Thank you both for your replies, they both have been very helpful

1 Like