Small formatting problem: tiny square roots

If I may add to the confusion, I do see the gap in the PDF on Fedora 33, both in Evince and Okular. I don’t see the gap in Texmacs, though (tried both 1.99.12 and 1.99.15).

Additionally, if I export the provided texmacs file to pdf, I don’t get a gap either.

There is a difference in fonts in the two pdfs. My version contains the CMEX7 font, while yours contains the CMEX10 font instead.

Could you check whether you have the file “cmex7.tfm” on your system? For me it’s under /usr/share/TeXmacs/fonts/tfm/ams/cmextra/cmex7.tfm. I don’t know where it should be on OS X.

How weird!

@mgubi, when you say the PDF looks okay, do you mean a PDF created by exporting the tm doc on your machine, or the PDF provided by my link? It’d be very strange if it’s the latter—I can see the gap on the one I provided even on my phone. So, I’m guessing it’s the former, but just making sure.

I don’t believe either machines have a TeX installation—at least not one I performed intentionally. (My roommate’s certainly doesn’t.)

@jeroen, I’ve found both CMEX7 and CMEX10 in the package contents of my TeXmacs application: both under Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/tfm/, with CMEX7 under ams/cmextra/cmex7.tfm, and CMEX10 under public/cm/cmex10.tfm. These are the only copies of these files in the application package. (I don’t have either of these in the .TeXmacs directory, for what it’s worth.)

I suppose somehow it seems like my TeXmacs is preferring the wrong font? I’ll see if I can try to find a fresh machine running Catalina to install TeXmacs to. (I’m pretty sure my roommate’s machine was fresh, but again, there is some possibility it wasn’t.)

Let me know if there’s any more info I can provide, such as an upload of any directories for you to peruse!

Yes, I mean my PDF, I didn’t checked yours, but I would assume our Preview.app are the same. What we could try is that you remove again ./TeXmacs and you start TeXmacs from the terminal, so what we can peek at the debug output easily.
You have to launch from a shell the executable which is inside the TeXmacs.app (I think is Contents/MacOS/TeXmacs ) And maybe post here the output of the initialisation.

Okay, so here is the terminal output upon starting TeXmacs after deleting (renaming) .Texmacs. (I would’ve summarized it in-post, but the forum tells me the body is too long by about 20k characters.)

Here is the .TeXmacs directory it produced.

For what it’s worth, here is my actual TeXmacs-1.99.12.app. However, seeing as the problem also occurred on my roommate’s machine, I’m confident it’s not something particular to my copy! But maybe it’ll make clear what the difference is.

(By the way, a bit off topic, but is there some resource from which I could get a full picture about how TeXmacs works under the hood? As of now I have a little bit of experience with programming, though not on the scale of an entire app like TeXmacs. I am interested in potentially contributing to TeXmacs, but just don’t know where to start—plus, when things like this happen, I’d like to be able to try to help figure out what’s happening!)

Seems that the .TeXmacs dir is ok and also the resources inside your app. I do not have any clue what is going on. The only guess I have is that TeXmacs is picking up some strange CM font from your machine. Do you have TeX installed? From where? Additionally: can you try to open your TeXmacs, open the file and then open Activity Monitor and use it to show the list of the files which the application has opened, and copy it here? It should reveal which are the font files used. This is the result from my machine (no gap):

cwd
/
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.12.app/Contents/MacOS/TeXmacs
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.12.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Sparkle
txt
/Library/Preferences/Logging/.plist-cache.FvAg3vra
txt
/usr/share/icu/icudt64l.dat
txt
/private/var/db/timezone/tz/2020a.1.0/icutz/icutz44l.dat
txt
/private/var/folders/bc/hbs2qc2n2pb3bkkhz_vqb9j40000gn/0/com.apple.LaunchServices.dv/com.apple.LaunchServices-1082-v2.csstore
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Versions/A/PlugIns/csparser.bundle/Contents/MacOS/csparser
txt
/private/var/db/mds/messages/501/se_SecurityMessages
txt
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance.bundle/Contents/Resources/SystemAppearance.car
txt
/usr/lib/dyld
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras2.rsrc
txt
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance.bundle/Contents/Resources/VibrantLightAppearance.car
txt
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance.bundle/Contents/Resources/Assets.car
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/NotoSansJavanese-Regular.otf
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Wingdings 2.ttf
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Wingdings.ttf
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Webdings.ttf
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Wingdings 3.ttf
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/Helvetica.ttc
txt
/usr/lib/libobjc-trampolines.dylib
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/SFNS.ttf
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.12.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/ec/ecrm10.pfb
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.12.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/ec/ecss10.pfb
txt
/System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle/Contents/Resources/AppleKeyboardLayouts-L.dat
txt
/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.IntlDataCache.le.kbdx
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.12.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr10.pfb
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.12.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmsy10.pfb
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.12.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmex10.pfb
txt
/private/var/folders/bc/hbs2qc2n2pb3bkkhz_vqb9j40000gn/C/org.texmacs.TeXmacs/com.apple.metal/3902/libraries.data
txt
/private/var/folders/bc/hbs2qc2n2pb3bkkhz_vqb9j40000gn/C/org.texmacs.TeXmacs/com.apple.metal/Intel(R) UHD Graphics 617/functions.data
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.12.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmmi10.pfb
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.12.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/ec/ecti10.pfb
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.12.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/ec/ecsi10.pfb
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/LucidaGrande.ttc
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.12.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr9.pfb
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.12.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmsy9.pfb
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.12.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmmi9.pfb
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.12.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/ec/ecrm7.pfb
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.12.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/ec/ecss7.pfb
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.12.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr8.pfb
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.12.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmsy8.pfb
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.12.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmmi8.pfb
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.12.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/ec/ecrm12.pfb
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.12.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/ec/ecss12.pfb
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.12.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr12.pfb
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.12.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmmi12.pfb
txt
/private/var/db/analyticsd/events.whitelist
/dev/null
/dev/null
/dev/null
->0x9bd8ab4a85742bd2
->0x989193c95adeaed9
->0x4b51c46c8375c4ef
->0x379d26df78832dea
/dev/urandom
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreImage.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ci_stdlib.metallib
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreImage.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ci_filters.metallib
/private/var/folders/bc/hbs2qc2n2pb3bkkhz_vqb9j40000gn/C/org.texmacs.TeXmacs/com.apple.metal/3902/libraries.maps
/private/var/folders/bc/hbs2qc2n2pb3bkkhz_vqb9j40000gn/C/org.texmacs.TeXmacs/com.apple.metal/3902/libraries.data
/private/var/folders/bc/hbs2qc2n2pb3bkkhz_vqb9j40000gn/C/org.texmacs.TeXmacs/com.apple.metal/Intel(R) UHD Graphics 617/functions.maps
/private/var/folders/bc/hbs2qc2n2pb3bkkhz_vqb9j40000gn/C/org.texmacs.TeXmacs/com.apple.metal/Intel(R) UHD Graphics 617/functions.data
/Users/mgubi/Library/Saved Application State/org.texmacs.TeXmacs.savedState/window_2.data
/Users/mgubi/Library/Saved Application State/org.texmacs.TeXmacs.savedState/data.data
/Users/mgubi/Library/Saved Application State/org.texmacs.TeXmacs.savedState/windows.plist

For the moment we do not have any good resource for an overview of the internals of TeXmacs. You are welcome to ask questions here or in texmacs-dev, also it would be good to produce something. I wanted to do it as soon as I have some time.

In Help->Manuals->Developer guide

you can produce a bit old documentation for developers, this might give you a broad outlook on the program. We need to improve it and update. Also you can access this documentation from

/Applications/TeXmacs-1.99.15.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/doc/devel

Sorry, I’ve been pretty busy!

So, I tried this problem on a third computer, also running Catalina, one that I’m sure has never had TeXmacs before, and was still able to reproduce the bug. I’m certain this is not a quirk of my system!

I suppose some non-Mac application that happens to have been installed at some point on all three systems could be interfering, but there aren’t many: Mathematica, Anaconda, and Minecraft. (Anaconda is not currently installed on two of the machines, but might have been in the past.)

None of the three have a TeX installation.

I did what you said on the third machine with the standard TeXmacs download currently available on the website. Here’s the activity monitor output from there. I replaced the username with [------] for privacy.

Activity Monitor output
cwd
/
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs.app/Contents/MacOS/TeXmacs
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Sparkle
txt
/Library/Preferences/Logging/.plist-cache.RmIk3ATa
txt
/usr/share/icu/icudt64l.dat
txt
/private/var/db/timezone/tz/2020d.1.0/icutz/icutz44l.dat
txt
/private/var/folders/yk/rftfgyk57m3853jrsxwx5wjr0000gn/0/com.apple.LaunchServices.dv/com.apple.LaunchServices-1082-v2.csstore
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Versions/A/PlugIns/csparser.bundle/Contents/MacOS/csparser
txt
/private/var/db/mds/messages/501/se_SecurityMessages
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras2.rsrc
txt
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance.bundle/Contents/Resources/SystemAppearance.car
txt
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance.bundle/Contents/Resources/DarkAquaAppearance.car
txt
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance.bundle/Contents/Resources/DarkAppearance.car
txt
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance.bundle/Contents/Resources/Assets.car
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/NotoSansJavanese-Regular.otf
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Wingdings 2.ttf
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Wingdings.ttf
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Wingdings 3.ttf
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Webdings.ttf
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/Helvetica.ttc
txt
/usr/lib/libobjc-trampolines.dylib
txt
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance.bundle/Contents/Resources/VibrantLightAppearance.car
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/SFNS.ttf
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/ec/ecrm10.pfb
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/ec/ecss10.pfb
txt
/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.IntlDataCache.le.kbdx
txt
/System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle/Contents/Resources/AppleKeyboardLayouts-L.dat
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr10.pfb
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/ec/ecss7.pfb
txt
/private/var/folders/yk/rftfgyk57m3853jrsxwx5wjr0000gn/C/org.texmacs.TeXmacs/com.apple.metal/3902/libraries.data
txt
/private/var/folders/yk/rftfgyk57m3853jrsxwx5wjr0000gn/C/org.texmacs.TeXmacs/com.apple.metal/AMD Radeon R9 M395/functions.data
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/ec/ecrm7.pfb
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr7.pfb
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmsy7.pfb
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmex10.pfb
txt
/System/Library/Fonts/LucidaGrande.ttc
txt
/Applications/TeXmacs.app/Contents/Resources/share/TeXmacs/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmmi7.pfb
txt
/usr/lib/dyld
/dev/null
/dev/null
/dev/null
->0x55e97561a4202b75
->0xd444d666fd996ff7
->0xdefa7814c8d4a775
->0xb1b847b86d471f28
/Users/[------]/Library/Saved Application State/org.texmacs.TeXmacs.savedState/data.data
/dev/urandom
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreImage.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ci_stdlib.metallib
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreImage.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ci_filters.metallib
/private/var/folders/yk/rftfgyk57m3853jrsxwx5wjr0000gn/C/org.texmacs.TeXmacs/com.apple.metal/3902/libraries.maps
/private/var/folders/yk/rftfgyk57m3853jrsxwx5wjr0000gn/C/org.texmacs.TeXmacs/com.apple.metal/3902/libraries.data
/private/var/folders/yk/rftfgyk57m3853jrsxwx5wjr0000gn/C/org.texmacs.TeXmacs/com.apple.metal/AMD Radeon R9 M395/functions.maps
/private/var/folders/yk/rftfgyk57m3853jrsxwx5wjr0000gn/C/org.texmacs.TeXmacs/com.apple.metal/AMD Radeon R9 M395/functions.data
/Users/[------]/Library/Saved Application State/org.texmacs.TeXmacs.savedState/windows.plist
/Users/[------]/Library/Saved Application State/org.texmacs.TeXmacs.savedState/window_2.data

I also used the command line utility (on macs by default) opensnoop to get all files that were ever opened by the app instead of just the current ones, via sudo opensnoop -n TeXmacs > snoop.out. After starting this command, I then opened TeXmacs, typed in the offending tiny square root, exported to pdf, and then ctrl-C’d opensnoop. The contents of snoop.out, with username also replaced, are here.

I’ll note that the CMEX10 font appears in both outputs, but only from the TeXmacs locations that I found them in.

From the looks of it, it actually seems like your TeXmacs is accessing a lot more fonts than mine are! Neither outputs of mine show any access to .pfb file whose name ends in anything but 7 or 10, such as the cmmi12.pfb that appears in your list. Further, yours also accesses some fonts ending in 10 that mine doesn’t, such as cmmi7.pfb, whereas mine accesses some that yours doesn’t, such as cmmi10.pfb.

However, my copy of the TeXmacs app does include the fonts yours uses in the necessary place, as you can verify from the copy of the app I’ve uploaded. It seems they simply aren’t being accessed.

But this might be a red herring. On my (original) machine, Activity Monitor shows that I’m accessing some of the 12.pfb and 8.pfb fonts; after all, I’m actively using TeXmacs and have several documents with lots of text in them open. On the machine whose output you see, I downloaded it fresh, opened it once to create the .TeXmacs directory, then closed it again. After doing this, I started opensnoop, opened the app, and then typed in the single expression I’ve shown before in the new blank document, then exported to PDF.

It’s hard to miss the difference in graphics cards given by these outputs when referencing functions.data around where it references the fonts: Intel for yours, Radeon for mine. However, on my original machine, that output shows that I use Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630. So, unless the difference between 617 and 630 is crucial, I’d doubt that it’s the graphics card.

Anyway, I’m not sure what to make of this! I’d be curious to see your opensnoop output with a freshly-downloaded copy (opened once before, such that the help window isn’t opened during session recorded by opensnoop).

Managed to find a Windows 10 laptop from which to try this, and, indeed, could not reproduce the bug–instead, the bar seemed to over-extend a bit, as others have seen! Though I think this misalignment is also something that ought to be fixed.

I’m going to try to read the developer’s guide and related documents that @mgubi has pointed me to (thanks!), and see if I can find out what might be causing the different behavior, and what might need to be changed…

There could be some other program installed on those mac systems which interfere. What about moving away all the tree starting at /opt or some other software like those installed via brewor similar packaging.

Nope, unfortunately. On one machine, I renamed the opt, Cellar, and .TeXmacs folder, and the gap behavior still occurred.

On another machine, I completely removed all contents of the usr/local/ folder just to be safe, deleted the .TeXmacs folder, deleted the TeXmacs app, restarted the machine, then redownloaded TeXmacs, and the bug was still there.

Is it possible that somehow your machine has something interfering with it that is somehow making it, I don’t know, more “Linux-like” in some particular respect?

I’d still be interested in seeing the result of the opensnoop procedure I described above for your machine! (I’ll note that opensnoop comes with your mac OS, you don’t need to download anything.)

The mistery continues… Also, for some reason opensnoop does not work on my machine…

Here on Kubuntu 21.04 and I can reproduce the bug. I think the reason why you couldn’t reproduce the bug on windows was that you put the square root over the whole fraction instead of the denominator. For me when I do this on linux the same overextension happens. In my experience the top bar of the sqrt always seems to be misaligned no matter what, though by varying offsets depending on the size. I created this account just to report this lol

Thanks for reporting, @lmnjovreti. I still can’t reproduce this (Fedora Linux 34).

How did you install TeXmacs? Do you have LaTeX installed on that machine?

Could you please try running TeXmacs from the terminal and setting a temporary TeXmacs home path, so that we can exclude problems with your current profile:

TEXMACS_HOME_PATH=~/.TeXmacs.test texmacs

Isn’t that in Bash

export TEXMACS_HOME_PATH=~/.TeXmacs.test texmacs

You’d want to use export if you want to set an environment variable which outlasts your command. With

TEXMACS_HOME_PATH=~/.TeXmacs.test texmacs

you can temporarily set the variable, and its value will be unaffected once you quit that instance of TeXmacs. It’s very useful for testing purposes.

Thanks for the explanation, I thought that the function of export is to make the environment variable available to processes started from the terminal.

Thanks for that, yes I do have latex installed, though I don’t know how that would affect it if TeXmacs uses its own font. I tried using a different home path and the misalignment still occurs.

TeXmacs has the ability to load TeX fonts, so it may be that another one than the provided one is used.
You could try to run TeXmacs from the terminal as

texmacs -d -V

and then do Tools -> Fonts -> Clear font cache, followed by Tools -> Fonts -> Look for more fonts. That should show on the terminal which fonts are being picked up.

Ok I have tested this in a virtual machine, and the issue of the large gap seems to be gone, so there was probably some font problem going on. However, the misalignment still occurs, the alignment is very inconsistent with the top bar and the sqrt symbol. There seems to be two issues at play here, one with the wrong font being picked up, and another with sqrt rendering in texmacs in general being imprecise. Not sure what sqrts look like on your end though, I could be wrong.