The problem with the term WYSIWYG in 2022

People usually view documents on a computer now, which means that page margins and page breaks don’t matter.

So maybe WYSIWYG is not the best term to use.

What would be a better term to use that accurately reflects what TeXmacs does when page margins and page breaks don’t matter?

Another point: I use TeXmacs to write notes because I like the way the text is typeset with high quality while I edit my notes. There is no output that I care about since these notes are private.

It’s all about the editing experience looking beautiful. And so, WYSIWYG is problematic in this case since there is no output that I care about.

Wysiwyg doesn’t really refer to printing but working in styled text directly and hiding the commands a system may use. For example, Word has its own document format, a markdown editor hides the markdown code, TeXmacs also has its own format. That said TeXmacs has a few serialization methods and can export to few formats. So an alternative term, which I found in manual’s about appendix but isn’t used elsewhere, is wysiwyw (what you see is what you want).

Or wysiwyp “what you see is what you print”.