Typing specifically gets slower and slower as the file gets bigger - Linux

I have noticed that typing (and only typing, like adding characters to the document, or deleting (though not selecting, pasting, etc.) ) gains considerable lag. I have seen this issue present in Windows, but I cannot find a mention of it in Linux users (correct me if I am wrong). I know that developers are probably aware of this by now, but since there is no mention of this issue on Linux, I want it to be somehow recorded.
I am using the latest generic 64bit binary (from https://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/download/linux.en.html) on a Devuan system. I have tried slowphil’s AppImage, but the issue does not seem to go away.

Hi @j_d_a, welcome to the forum!

The slowing down is most likely due to the page breaking algorithm. As this is common among all platforms, the behaviour is expected to be the same on all of them.

Some ways that could speed up your experience are to use the Papyrus mode for editing (turning back to Paper mode for finishing touches) and to split your document into multiple files, joining them into one master document.

2 Likes

Hello. Could you please tell me how to join many files into one master document in Texmacs?

This is from the documentation (look for “Books and multifile documents”):

An entire file can be inserted into another one using Insert→Link→Include. In order to speed up the treatment of included documents, they are being buffered. In order to update all included documents, you should use Tools→Update→Inclusions.

In order to see cross references to other chapters when editing a particular chapter ci.tm, one may specify book.tm as a “master file” for the files c1.tm to cn.tm using Tools→Project→Attach master.

1 Like