Unexpected tabular dimensions behavior

This isn’t so much a bug as a case of unexpected behavior. When a tabular (in text) is made to have overall width Paragraph (by selecting the blue rightwards arrow in the toolbar, or by checking it in the options menu), giving individual cells Exact widths no longer works as a common user might expect. In particular, when one specifies the Exact width of a particular cell, via the Cell portion of the toolbar, it seems to add the specified Exact width to the automatically-determined width. This makes it difficult for the user to obtain the desired cell width without extracting some values and doing some calculations.

For instance, I think that a user would expect that a tabular set to overall Paragraph width consisting of two side-by-side cells, the first of which has a specified Exact width, would have the first cell be the Exact width specified, and the second cell’s width be automatically determined so that it reaches across the page. Instead, what we see is that the first cell has width w+[Exact-specified width], and the second cell has width w. Here is that setup, illustrated:

Further, the cell with an Exact-specified width no longer enlarges when text is inserted into it, but will nonetheless shrink when text is inserted into adjacent cells.

Is there a way to change this? And do people agree that this is counterintuitive default behavior for specifying an Exact width (and that access to the intuitive interpretation would be useful)?

(I imagine this is pretty low-priority, but thought I’d mention it :stuck_out_tongue:)