Building Natively on M1 with macOS Monterey

Hi all,

I made the M1 build to work on macOS Monterey.

You just need to install the M1 Home-brew /opt/homebrew, install the required packages, and use my fork here: https://github.com/ProfFan/texmacs

Please use brew to install `guile@1.8 using the texmacs/homebrew repo.

Also, brew unlink qt && brew link qt@5
I don’t have time to clean up so the patch is a bit messy.
Also it appears that Qt5 have a bug that causes the whole interface to scale 2x, which can be solved by
turning off ("retina-icons" "off") in ~/.TeXmacs/system/preferences.scm

I have verified that Maxima works natively, just install maxima using brew.

1 Like

I suggest you post this nice piece of news on the mailing list as well.

I got the following make error:

./Plugins/Pdf/PDFWriter/PNGImageHandler.cpp:38:10:** fatal error: ‘png.h’ file not found

I find the header is in

/usr/local/include/png.h

So I changed to the absolute path. But then I got another error

/usr/local/Cellar/guile@1.8/1.8.8/include/libguile.h:24:10: fatal error: ‘gmp.h’ file not found

gmp.h is also in /usr/local/include. Is there something wrong in my system configuration?

The fact that you have /usr/local/include is very concerning. 80% that you have a x86 homebrew, not the M1 native homebrew.

Hello fan, and happy holidays.
thank you for providing a fork to be used with M1 MacOS. I wonder if it were possible for you or for the team to provide an already compiled version of TeXmacs for M1 processors, without having to install homebrew.
Thanks a lot!

i don’t know @markpace. I currently am very busy and a redistributable would need me to tackle a lot of problems not existent if we just build from source.

Hi @fan, it was just a try; I guess that a specific installer with M1 version of TeXmacs will eventually be available, sooner or later.
Thank you anyway! :slight_smile: