Large displayed style by default for Inline formulas

I can have the math inside inline formulas in large display style if I select from the menu Format -> Display style -> On before starting to type the formula. Is there a way to have by default all the inline formulas in large display style? This is unusual in articles but common in textbooks.

Maybe try redefining the \math macro

<assign|math|<macro|body|<with|mode|math|math-display|true|<arg|body>>>

Seems to work for me.

1 Like

In general you can explore the various macro with the “?” icon in the focus bar, if you position the cursor appropriately.

Not sure how to do that. Shall I edit the macro using the Text option or the Source option? Shall I substitute the original content for the line that you suggested?

A convenient option is to put this macro in a package that you can add to your documents.

Open a new document and edit it in source mode (Document -> Source -> Edit source tree). Then paste the macro code @mgubi provided as TeXmacs code (Edit -> Paste from -> TeXmacs). Save this as a file with extension .ts (not .tm), either in the same directory as your document or in the “packages” directory of your TeXmacs configuration directory ($HOME/.TeXmacs/packages/ in Linux).

Now you can add this package to the documents where you want to apply it (Document->Style->Add package). If you put the package in the configuration directory, it should appear in the menu as an option. If you put it in the same directory as the document, you can add it using the “Add other package…” option.

1 Like

It is also possible to add it in the preamble (Document -> Part -> Create preamble), of course the package will be accessible from any file and “modular”.
Said this, I also do not know what happens when editing the macro using the “Edit macro” tool. Are the changes valid for the current document only or for all documents?
Moreover, is there any way to revert to the original definition, once that it has been changed?

1 Like

Both suggestions are fine. I would also suggest that you spend 1-2 h to give a look at the online documentation, this will save you 10x the time when trying to figure out things later. TeXmacs is a quite versatile program and some features becomes clearer if you understand a bit how it works. Also I can very warmly recommend to read Joris book “The Jolly Writer” is very well written and a pleasant to read introduction to many features of TeXmacs. I enjoyed it very much. Your TeXmacs experience will be much better.

When you use the edit macro tool, the macro is added to the Preamble, I think. It is not difficult to check it out. Another nice feature is the Macro -> Extract style file which takes all the “local” definitions and makes a new style file out of them so that you can reuse in other documents. A natural development flow would be to develop new macros in the preamble of a given document (so that it is easier to experiment) and then export them as a style file.

It is as you say. I did not check it on my own initiative because if it changed the global definition it could have taken some work to get the default definition back.
Perhaps it is a good post for the blog.
I have one more observation on entering code in the edit macro tool, but I have to test still a bit and I will make it on the mailing list as what I see is similar to what I saw the the xmacro case which I already posted there.