Spacing around Section Titles

Sorry if this is already in the documentation or tutorials somewhere. I’ve searched everywhere, but for the life of me I can’t find it.

What environment variable/GUI setting can I use to adjust the space before and after Section titles? I know in LaTeX this can be done via the \titlespacing command from the titlesec package. And I have an inkling that I can make this change in the .sty file, but I don’t know how to go about that.

For reference, here is a snippet of my document, where there is way too much space before and after the Related work section. (Yes, I’m trying to shrink space on a tight deadline… :slight_smile: )

Thanks,
Caleb

I looked at this very quickly, this said the definition to change might be section-title, for example writing it in the preamble in the following way:

<assign|section-title|<macro|name|<sectional-normal-bold|<vspace*|0.75fn><very-large|<arg|name>><vspace|0.25fn>>>>

This said this blog post might also help you: https://texmacs.gitee.io/notes/docs/macro-editor.html
I used the macro editor stepping through the macros section, section-numbered-title and finally section-title.

It seems to me that the spacings used in the definition of section-title are the ones that determine the spacing around the title, even if section-title is wrapped within other macros, because the other macros that appear in the definition of section do not typeset anything but do “bookkeeping”.

Please let me know if this helps.

3 Likes

Ah, so I know about the macro editor, but I was searching for keywords like sep, space, title, and the like. I just didn’t know what I was looking for. :sweat_smile:

But this is exactly what I needed! I’m surprised that this space just gets implemented as a constant \vspace amount on the spot, rather than an environment variable.

Thanks again! And you’re a legend for replying within an hour – I was able to make the deadline! :confetti_ball:

1 Like