TeXmacs Crash after Mac OS 14.1 update

I have been using TeXmacs extensively for taking college lecture notes. Then I update my Mac book and it’s a before and after doomsday - TeXmacs does not start up. I have spent 3 hours researching and trouble shooting this error no luck. It might be a new one that is not found before.
Here is the logging report I get in my terminal. There are about ~100 fonts that are approximately transformed. I presume this is not the error, but there were some missing fonts and an error on the libpng.
Mac has a Font Book with all the system fonts. Maybe that changed during the update? But besides these aesthetics I have identified the bug.
eXmacs] approximating font tuple (TwentiethCentury.ttc, 1, 291604) ~> tuple (TwentiethCentury.ttc, 1, 290348)

TeXmacs] approximating font tuple (TwentiethCentury.ttc, 2, 291604) ~> tuple (TwentiethCentury.ttc, 2, 290348)

TeXmacs] approximating font tuple (TwentiethCentury.ttc, 3, 291604) ~> tuple (TwentiethCentury.ttc, 3, 290348)

TeXmacs] With linked TrueType support

TeXmacs] warning, missing font, loading global substitution list

libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

zsh: illegal hardware instruction /Applications/TeXmacs.app/Contents/MacOS/TeXmacs

XXXXXXX PROCEEDS TO DIE XXXXXXXXX

Please could some developers help me troubleshoot. I need to urgently retrieve my notes, and I cannot open any .tm files which have all my assignments :sob:

Edit: I am using * Download TeXmacs-2.1.1.dmg for MacOS 10.10 and later.

1 Like

There was also another warning message at the beginning: “TeXmacs[2938:67103] It’s not legal to call -layoutSubtreeIfNeeded on a view which is already being laid out. If you are implementing the view’s -layout method, you can call -[super layout] instead. Break on void _NSDetectedLayoutRecursion(void) to debug. This will be logged only once. This may break in the future.”

I see there has been others with the same error " https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?64774 ". Is there formal communication on the fix?

Pending a fix, you might try Mogan (https://mogan.app/), which is a fork of TeXmacs (it is quite a while that I do not use it, but as far as I remember for the user it is the same as TeXmacs, or very close).

1 Like

Just to mention for people trying to work around by compiling TeXmacs themselves using Homebrew and guile3: in the recent guile version (3.0.9) there seems to be an error in guile-config which prohibits configure to run properly. Switching to guile --HEAD solves the problem as the guile-config bug is already solved upstream.

I am also encountering this. TeXmacs crashes whenever I try to open it. I am on macOS.

Removing ~/.TeXmacs sometimes fixes the issue temporarily, but soon after TeXmacs begins crashing again. It is simply unusable at this point.

I have recently had a crash, and I have found the terminal command /Applications/TeXmacs.app/Contents/MacOS/TeXmacs -S to help.

This reruns the setup program before launching the application, one can find information by typing /Applications/TeXmacs.app/Contents/MacOS/TeXmacs --help

Not sure if it will help, but worth a try for anyone else who is coming across this issue

It seems like these crashes are specific to the Intel TeXmacs binary. Here is what I’ve found on machines I’ve had access to over the last three months:

• Intel TeXmacs Binary versions 2.1, 2.1.1, and 2.1.2: crashes on an Intel iMac running macOS 14
  • Intel TeXmacs Binary version 2.1.1: crashes on M1 Max
  • ARM TeXmacs Binary versions 2.1.1, 2.12: does not crash on M1, M1 Max, or M2.

So if you are using an Apple Silicon Mac, I suggest making sure you are using the ARM binary.
Unfortunately Intel Macs cannot use the ARM binary.

1 Like

Hi Jeremy, since you have an Apple Silicon mac, do you have an external monitor? Can you help me test this bug I encountered? I am wondering if it’s a reproducible crashing bug on every ARM mac machine with external monitor, or it only happened to me? I haven’t quite got any update on that since last year I posted that report, and the bug still exists after several macOS system upgrades (and TeXmacs hasn’t released any update since then). Thank you (or anyone who see this) so much for helping me!

Using the version 2.1.2 ARM TeXmacs Binary on an M1 Max with a Dell U2720Q monitor doesn’t result in a crash on launch for me. TeXmacs still occasionally crashes (not sure that it’s related to external monitors), but it’s infrequent enough that I can get my work done.

Thank you so much for helping out here and providing your setups! I have an AOC U2790B monitor. I am in a deeper confusion now :joy: I just didn’t realize that this bug doesn’t occur to every ARM mac user with an external monitor, until you let me know. No wonder why there’s not so much discussion or solution here. Get quite lost… :cry: Maybe it won’t be figured out and fixed since not many people are having this issue.

I’ve fixed the bug in Mogan yesterday.

See

You may help test it when I release the next rc of Mogan Research.

Has been fixed. Just wait for about 1 week. Mogan Research v1.2.3 will be released soon.