Will you switch from TeXmacs to Mogan due to its faster editing speed?

• Mogan 1.0.x is based on GNU TeXmacs 2.1.1
  • Mogan 1.1.x is based on GNU TeXmacs 2.1.2
  • Mogan 1.2.x will be based on GNU TeXmacs 2.1.3

We will try our best to contribute our patches to GNU TeXmacs.

Dear @darcy,

On my windows machine I actually seem to have the opposite experience: mogan has a more sluggish typing experience than TeXmacs. I will shortly post a screencast and a file. Do you know of a way to enable performance debug messages under windows so I can help debug?

Do you know of a way to enable performance debug messages under windows so I can help debug?

Not yet.

We will make CI work for Windows later. And you can download the snapshot version of Mogan Editor and try and give us feedbacks.

Dear @darcy,

I am continuing to try out TeXmacs vs Mogan editor and it is significantly more sluggish. I am working on windows 10 with the newest version of Mogan.

I tried creating a new, completely empty default file. If I press and hold down the s key on an empty line it fills in with one character appearing at a time in quick succession. This works the same on TeXmacs and on Mogan.

Things change drastically if I am inside any environment. I create a Lemma and put myself inside and again press the s key. Here is where the problem happens.

If I do this with TeXmacs it is as snappy as outside the environment. However, in Mogan things slow down drastically. The editor lags and displays the s letters in batches of 4-6 with hiccups after each batch.

I would be glad to help debug this any way I can.

EDIT: I submitted the bug report Mogan github on since this issue is not general but specific to Mogan.

1 Like

The nightbuild is available on Github Action now:

(scroll down and you will find the artifact to download)

@jingkaimori use the nightbuild windows dev build for debugging. I’ve never tried it on Windows yet. FYI @guraltsev

I tried using the snapshot version and I cannot get it to run. I extracted it and tried running it to get:

Am I doing something wrong?

Ok, I figured it out! The problem was that this workflow: [97] Chinese: set default font to Noto CJK SC on GNU/Linux 90m (#452) · XmacsLabs/mogan@434805d (github.com) gives unusable files.

HOWEVER if you go here:
Actions · XmacsLabs/mogan (github.com)

and go to the action that generates the installer

and access the latest one from there e.g.

Package for Windows · XmacsLabs/mogan@678ffdb (github.com)

Then you get the working snappy installer!!!

AND I am happy to report that the sluggishness is NOT observed in that release. Who knows what solved the issue?

3 Likes

@darcy does the Mogan version of S7 incorporates my patch for symbol lookup? without it S7 is slow with TeXmacs.

The patch has not been applied.

1 Like

It would be interesting to understand why the patch works and if we can remove the problem on our side by writing the scheme differently. According to the main developer of S7 the patch could not be safe/correct (but I’m not sure why).