TeXmacs 2.1 on Debian 12 - Bookworm

Hi,

which is the best way to compile and use TeXMacs 2.1 on debian 12 Bookworm? I’m in general lazy but my over than 15y long experience says that a compiled version runs much better than the static binaries.

Is it still recommended to use guile1.8 or is the Guile 3 enough stable and fast to be ready for daily use? And if 1. is still needed, which is the best way to get a source that can be compiled nowadays?

Best regards

Giorgio

P.S: I really hope to see TeXmacs back into Debian Sid at least.

I understand you want TeXmacs in Debian 12, but would prefer to not run the static build. In that case, no need to build yourself; you may just grab an AppImage or debs for Bookworm (and they’ll provide guile 1.8).

Compiling yourself is only required if you plan to make changes to the c++ code. In that case, pull the branch you want (S7, or Guile3) from Github, find posts giving build instructions, and follow them.

For getting TeXmacs back in Debian, a decision needs to be taken regarding the scheme engine to use in replacement of guile 1.8. Then a packager would have to volunteer.

1 Like

Thanks a lot

Giorgio

@gfwp Could you help test Mogan Research v1.2.5 LTS (a distribution of GNU TeXmacs) on debian bookworm?

Bringing Mogan Research to Debian side should be easier than GNU TeXmacs. Mogan Research is using S7 Scheme.

I have not tested deeply, but the buffer is not blur as in TeXmacs, under Sway (Wayland), with 1.5x scaling configured in Sway.