TeXmacs new teaser video

Dear all, we have a new video

which presents the major features of TeXmacs. Feel free to share among your colleagues and help up diffuse awareness of the program.

Thanks!

6 Likes

Looks great!

One comment though: it’s not clear from the video that editing in math mode and outside of math mode — as well as moving from one to the other — is seamless and works the same way. This is not the case in most WYSIWYG word processors where the math mode object is quite different in behavior than non-math mode and merely creating/entering/leaving a math mode object can be inconvenient and/or slow.

1 Like

Very informative and stylish video!

I noticed that on Windows when you try to insert a picture using drag and drop (like on 1:02 in this video) TeXmacs just copies the full path to the picture instead of the actual picture. Is it a bug or just a shortcoming of the Windows version?

Yes, I think that would be a bug. On Linux (GNOME at least) it also works like in the video.

It is definitely a bug. On the various OS the capabilities of TeXmacs should be equivalent. However we need more testing on Windows. Bug reports are welcome!

OK, I submitted: https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?60770

2 Likes

Thanks. I will try to give a look at these problems in the weekend.

Excellent video, thanks for sharing.

I find this kind of material excellent to diffuse awareness of TeXmacs in the scientific community.
Both sexy and informative info in this video: you just want to use TeXmacs after that.

Good job, congrats !

1 Like

Who edited the video? It’s great!! Oh just saw the end of the video, kudos to both authors!

1 Like

The video showcases a nice search widget for bibliography, but I don’t see it in a freshly compiled TeXmacs (latest SVN). Does anybody know how to activate it?

Ah, I see. It’s only active if the “Database tool” is.

2 Likes

I am a newbie and I have two questions.
1- How can you move the picture like in the video at 3:20. I am not able to do that.
2- Does Texmacs support a multi-page table (if I have a very long table, it should be divided over two pages). I could not do that.

I searched the documentation and the forum but without luck.

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Hi @sabmab, welcome to the forum!

re 1) I have the impression that that is a slide containing a large graphics environment (probably “Draw over”), in which you can embed images and move them around
re 2) I don’t think this is currently possible (see the related Page breaking in framed or ornamented)

Hi @sabmab and welcome to the forum.

I have an answer for

In the mailing list (message http://lists.texmacs.org/wws/arc/texmacs-users/2021-01/msg00095.html) Joris van der Hoeven said that

Page breaking is supported in the options for ordinary tables,
as long as you don’t use any borders around your cells.

However, long multi-page tables may significantly slow down
the editing speed, so you might want to manually break them up
from time to time (e.g. when starting a new section, at least).

Judging from this, your best option is maybe manual breaking (likely you want some borders).

For the other question, I pass to someone else.

Giovanni

1 Like

Interesting, thanks for pointing this out. More specifically, it’s under “Focus -> Special -> Table breaking”.

1 Like

Maybe there has been a development because a table I am testing now (Wide tabular) with the menu option you pointed out is breaking across pages even with some borders around cells

Edit: on the other hand, breaking a table does not work inside “Big table” environments, and one has to do “manually” continuation headers (e.g. writing “Table on velocity data - continued” after a table break).

Well spotted. It does seem to introduce some extra padding.

@jeroen and @pireddag thanks for your helpful comments.
For me on Windows using Texmacs 2.1, the split is working using Plain tabular. However it does not work using Wide tabular. It seems the split feature works if there is a multiple cell table only. If all contents are in a single cell, it does not work.
I am trying to write a lecture note for my course. I want the background of the example in a different color to improve readability. I read the manual and found out that my only option is to put the example inside a single cell table. Some examples in my lecture notes are longer than a page. It would be nice if Texmacs is able to divide the content of a single cell table and/or change the background of a part of the document.
Right now my only option is to leave the background as it is or to divide the example (table) manually.

Again thanks for your help