Install TeXmacs with Maxima on mac with M1

i do and the result is:

<url /usr/local/bin/maxima>

Maybe he has the path, but not the alias

No, I just tested this, as long as he has the path, the command is available

1 Like

I would then do

(var-eval-system "/usr/local/bin/maxima")

the output is:

"sh: /usr/local/bin/maxima: is a directory "

I had missed that the path you should have is /opt/local/bin, not /usr/local/bin :slight_smile:

I think your next task is how to get the /opt/local/bin path in the PATH variable seen by TeXmacs, and for this (again) you need someone that knows how to set this for the Mac (for an application that is started from the … I do not know from where, but not from the terminal)

1 Like

I get it. Nobody uses the mac? maybe you can tell me how to do this

I do not know how to do this, sorry. I only understood that programs see different environments depending on how they are launched (I do not know which methods to launch a program exist in the Mac, but they are at least 2, as far as I understand).
I think that we have made some progress, but you need the help of someone else to change the path.

In the meantime, you might also try to start TeXmacs from the terminal and see what happens there (maybe allows you to work till we have found out how to make Maxima work when TeXmacs is launched in the “other way” … which I do not know what it is, maybe you know the name for this).

1 Like

You can also donate a M1 device to @darcy :slight_smile:

1 Like

I probably will, since I have been struggling with this problem for a month and have not solved it yet.

I went to the folder /usr/local/bin. which should be the folder that texmacs looks at to open the sessions, inside this folder there are many type files (Alias and Unix files) but there is only one folder file called maxima, it is strange as what?

It’s totally expected.

If you are not familiar with Linux semantics, read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

What confuses me is that there seem to be files both under /opt/local/bin and under /usr/local/bin. Are there two installations of Maxima on the system?

The shell picks up the binary in /opt, while TeXmacs seems to detect /usr/local/bin/maxima, which turns out to be a directory.

I’ve just done a test and the url-resolve-in-path function returns directories in the path, if they have the right name. This is different from the behaviour of which.

Since Dodier was involved with that (https://lists.texmacs.org/wws/arc/texmacs-users/2021-10/msg00000.html), we might involve him again, if he is still available :wink:

But in my opinion it is easiest for @marcomolisano—since he has had contact with all of the people— to make sure that Maxima is installed in his system (which as far as I know no-one on this forum has, so we can’t do any tests) properly, and after that it is still easiest for him to get the info on how to fix PATH (same reason, unless there are some Mac users who did not show up so far!).

Once we are over the sticking points, then we can work again on getting the Maxima plugin to work.

@marcomolisano

I am using M1 mac, and it wasn’t showed up too. I am using the homebrew maxima which is installed /opt/homebrew/bin/maxima.

But i simply do the following from terminal,

$ cd /Applications/TeXmacs.app/Contents/MacOS/
$ ./TeXmacs

And it works:

There must be a bug, but i don’t know exact where.

2 Likes

Thanks, @slbtty. Could you do

(url-resolve-in-path "maxima")

in your single-path experiment?

Does url-resolve-in-path give you the same result if you start TeXmacs from the terminal?

I guess Maxima could rely on other programs being on the path, so that may be why it fails.
You could check by doing

(var-eval-system "maxima --list-avail")

@slbtty I don’t really know how to thank you !!! opening texmacs with the command from the terminal everything works !!
Thanks so much everyone for the support!!!

1 Like

In case anyone needs this, I have compiled successfully a native M1 version that just works with the Homebrew maxima. Please look Building Natively on M1 with macOS Monterey for instructions.

1 Like